Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-16-2003, 07:13 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Where's the meat?

OK, so I'm feeling a bit grumpy this morning. But putting that aside for the moment....

There are SO many comments (I won't even call them 'critiques') that say nothing of value to someone who wants to improve his/her work.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to increase the number of thoughtful, useful critiques?

Receiving a 'beautiful colors', 'cute puppy', 'great sunset' feels good but it's saccharin, not sugar. I want some energy not just sweet taste.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Where's the meat?

"I want some energy not just sweet taste": then lay back, take a deep breath, and think about the eternity of Nature and mortality of our human race. That will help you to figure out how to generate and use your energy. And that may help you realise too, that we are here to learn from each other, but also to exchange the way we perceive pictures. As for the sometimes decreased accent on the technical side of the pictures in critiques, well - there are schools and courses where you can learn more...as well as books.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:39 PM
TE Newbie

It is not disturbing for me to receive 'beautiful colors', 'cute', 'nice', 'good'... or 'shit !'I like that because that means peoples have looked at my works and they wanted to tell me in short way : I like, I don't like, I hate, I don't hate, it is interresting or not. For me TE is a space to show my photos to a world of peoples loving photos like me, and also I like very much to look at the works of the others and have not always lot of time to analyze these works in details... Only I write : Good, Bof !, nice ! Well seen !... because I want to see all the others photos on the site and you can constat that their number is more and more important. But I understand you want to have more real critics than light comments, somewhere it is a little bit frustrating to don't exactly what people thinks really about your job. Keep cool Bob and go on to show us the best of yours pics. Kind regards.
Serge
Old 10-16-2003, 07:43 PM
TE Senior Member

Yes, Bob, meat is better, but when you take a bite in a big chunk of meat and you break your teath on a bone, you don't feel like doing it again. It's not everybody who knows how to cook the meat just right so it is edible, I remember a time when raw meat was served from a member and it was not very much appreciated from many members. So personally lately I'm mostly posting some ketchup critiques with precautious attempts to return to meat. I also find vegetarian critiques rather dull.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:16 PM

Bob

You really have been on the grumpy pills lately haven't you! Prior to the introduction of the NR option on critiques I completely agreed with your feelings about comments rather than critiques. Now, whilst I much prefer 'useful' critiques, I have no problem with those who either don't wish to critique or who feel they don't have the knowledge, and simply put their comments.
All I would say is that in such a situation it is important that the use of the NR option is adhered to.
I don't know if it would be practical for the other smileys to be disabled if less than x characters were entered in the critique box. If so I think it would help.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:28 PM
TE Senior Member

I don't think there's much you can do because the majority of members now are not that seriously into photography.

And experienced people like yourself naturally get stuck giving more than you receive.

I don't like saccharin but I wouldn't mind some sweetener.
I don't get very many comments of any type these days.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:34 PM
TE Newbie

If I may? A smiley may mean that the picture was great, funny or appealing, yes, but was the critique useful - in other words, does it help me to improve the picture? If that is what is wanted, "Tell me how to improve" and I am from that school, then a Great comment on a posting is OK, but not useful. If I get a grumpy face, but it teaches me something that I did not know or considered, then that is usefull and that person should be rewarded. I have written 300 critiques, and am sure that maybe 50 could be useful, but not 280. What I am trying to convey is the "star rating" is so easy, because a nice or a good comment is allocaed a "useful", but it is is just a comment, not a real critique. So, maybe another little tick that says, "yes, pull this apart and tell me how to do it" is required, then we can all choose whether we want to be shown how to improve our techniques - that was how I learned at several camera clubs, being hammered and getting the ego bruised, but it is good in the end because one begin to look with comprehension and understanding to "rules" and exceptions to it. But having said this, I rather just say its nice, than to pull any picture apart and offend.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:54 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Smileys ain't meat...

I agree with you. I want to hear *why* the image works, *why* it doesn't work, and/or *how* to improve it. Smileys don't say enough to make them useful. I turned them off.

I would support a button that says "I like this image but have nothing to unique to say about it." I think that would give people a 'praise outlet' and perhaps cut down on the meatless wonders.

I don't think that it necessary (or desirable) to 'hammer' anyone when giving a critique. It's not that hard to find a kind way to point out problems. It's even easier on this site since you can prepare a fix and post a Workshop to illustrate a better way.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:11 PM

Some picture there is nothing else to say about a picture other than its OK, well seen, etc.
Others you can try to comment on but there is so many just stuck on the site that it is becomming impossible to view even a fraction,
I know iam missing the ones I deffinatley want to see and comment on,as they vanish several pages back,I dont have the time to view that many,so all you can do is skim and hope to pick out a few that stand out.
With a BIG side issue of lack of notes and details by a lot of people the Newbe`s being the worst offeners. what do you think?
Old 10-18-2003, 09:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Newbies...

are excellent members awaiting training....

;o)