Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great bazal 2006-05-08 13:00

Hello.
What a lovely place you present here. I really like the colors and the beautiful light. My only regret deals with the strange dark linear transition we can see at the top of the picture. What is this exactly? A defect of exposure or an attempt to framing? I think this could be crop out with a lot of benefit for the picture...
Nice picture anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 PM
TE Newbie

Default To bazal: Thanx for your critique.

The dark line is a framing effect of an inside drop shadow. I guess it doesn't work very well, does it? I wanted to make it look like you were looking through the page at the image. Maybe special effects are to be left to the Science Fiction peolpe and not to fancy-up our images on TrekEarth.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:26 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To bazal: Thanx for your critique.

First thanks for your answer...
And I hope my critic was not too rude! :o)
In all cases, it was just a personal opinion and I understand better what you wanted to show by using this special effect. Note that such slight effect are not (to my knowing) forbidden on TE, and that I use them as well, on some occasions.
Furthermore I think that trying things as numerical effects, post-treatments and stuff like that is a very good way to learn about the fascinating world of numerical photography. This is also sometimes a good way to notice that the natural original picture is better than the post-processed one...

On another hand, I'm sure that some people may prefer your picture with the post-processing you made. Just a question of personal feeling...

Keep on trying new things !
Best regards.
LB.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
TE Newbie

I see. The more I see the great photos here on TE, the more I appreciate the greatest photography is done at the time of capture, NOT in post-processing. Photoshop and the like, is an Art, not to be taken lightly. Just because one can press a button, doesn't mean that they should. It takes esthetic insight to know how to use the tools presented by the computer. I'll keep trying, but thanks for your critique. I believe some response is better than no reply at all. I would have felt terrible if I had no comments to the pix here. Please don't stop sharing your opinions.
BTW, I've noticed your images, and how they are very strong, deliberate, straight-ahead scenics. I understand more now. Thanx.

What exactly do you mean by "numerical photography"? Do you mean "Digital" Photography?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:36 PM
TE Senior Member

I meant effectively digital photography. My English has sometimes a strong tendency to include french-like words... ;o)
Regards.
LB.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 PM
TE Newbie

Excusez-moi. Je suis désolé que je n'aie pas compris.

That's ok. My French isn't that good either.