Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great HOBO 2006-04-16 2:09

Bonjour Emmanuel,
I really can understand your comment about how to feel up there... What a chance!
I still remember setting sail on my first boat nearly fourty years ago and how she started silently to move; only the water noise.
From the military rank of your guide and from the uniformed crew on deck - was she the Gorch Fock?
A great view on the bow; you used your chance perfectly. Are you used to climb up to this height?
Joyeuse Pâques
Knut

Old 04-16-2006, 11:05 AM
TE Expert

Default To HOBO: Thanks, Knut

Following your threadto your personal page, I see why you understoodthe note so well.

To answer you question, the picture was effectively taken on board Gorch Fock. At that time, I was rather fresh from my military service (compulsory in France in those days) and I voluntered to be liaison officer ("Verbindbundsoffizier") for the meeting and was attached to Gorch Fock (although my German was and still is very poor). I met wonderfull people on board, especially the commanding officer Immo von Schnurbein who really looked the perfect incarnation of the Sailor (and he spoke perfect French, too)but most of my contact were with the second captain, Commander Hering. At the time of the departure, they offered me to make the cruise along the Seine and I left at the change of pilots at Caudebec-en-Caux.

Regarding getting aloft, it was just my second experience : I had just discovered tall ships the previous year see my first experience from 1988). Afterwards, I tried a few other ships. Now, I do not really knowwether I would do it again, I am rather out of practice since 2000... But, frankly, I never met again such a good conjonction of light when I tried shooting form the yards. That is why this picture is rather special to me me, in addition to the circunstances when it was taken.

The painting of the ship is clearly Goch Fock : if the yards are often painted yellow (or the uggly mustard color of the Russian ships), the green details is something more unusual (apart from the all green painting of the STAG ship "Alex" of course but this is also special). You can also see the blue uniforms of the sailors (much clearer though in my prevuious postings of sails handling).

Trés joyeuses Pâques également,

Emmanuel
Old 04-16-2006, 01:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Gorch Fock

Salut Emmanuel,
merci beaucoup pour ta réponse si détailleée que j'apprécie vraiment.
Amicalement
Knut