Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-17-2006, 12:45 AM
TE Newbie

Default Size and watermarking

I've had several messages left in comments about the fact that I only upload at a maximum of 550 pixels on the long side, 72dpi, and with a watermark on them. I wanted to comment about that before I leave TE.

I post images here to share, learn from feedback, and to enjoy seeing others. That can all be done from images this size, even with some small protection on them.

Here's a thread showing some misuse of images from TE...
http://www.trekearth.com/read.php?f=1&t=200281&m=290632

Why can TE participants not just view the thumbnail and comment on the quality (or not) of the image itself rather than some small protection. Just about every photo library provide images not larger than around 500-600pixels and usually with significant watermarking.

I only upload images to TE for meaningful feedback, but it's just not worth it if every 10th comment is telling to upload larger images with no text on them.

I'd be interested to hear any views

Gordon

p.s. here is some advise from the UK copyright service...
Marking your work
The two primary reasons for marking your work are to ensure that those accessing your images are clear that copyright exists and that they know who to contact to obtain permission.

Contact information
We often recieve enquires from individuals and organisations wishing to use specific photos, but who are unable to trace the owner. It seems that many images are marked as ‘copyright image do not reproduce without permission’, but that the photographer omitted to include their contact details. This is frustrating to the person wishing to use the image and also means that the photographer may miss out on reproduction fees and exposure

Copyright notices
We do recommended that you mark your work with a copyright notice, as this makes it clear that copyright exists, and helps to deter infringement. Please see our fact sheet P-03: Using copyright notices for information on wording you notices.

For traditional prints, it is customary to use a stamp to mark the copyright notice and the copyright owners contact details on the back of the print

If you display your photos online, you may choose to use photo editing software to place a simple copyright notice across the image, (typically this will appear in the bottom corner). Ideally it should include the address of the web site so that it is clear where to go to find contact details.

For electronic images, it is also possible to include the copyright/contact details in the file properties. Under Windows for example, right clicking on a image will allow you to bring up the properties dialogue where you may enter details about the file, (though this will only work with certain file types). More typically, your image software will provide a way to insert comments into the file; this is preferred as these are harder to remove.

Watermarking may be worth considering if you have a lot of valuable images on your site.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:29 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Size and watermarking

well thats conclusive enough...but stick around...now you have made your point there is no use leaving it un fulfilled...
sorry about my critique but we all have to say what we think..
i get it wrong and mess up in workshop some good shots..
reconsider...please
god bless
geof
Old 03-17-2006, 12:47 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello Gordon,
I have taken a look at your wonderful photos. Really well done and good work.
Now the point. I think you can post photos anyway you like.
But I agree that if you post a bit larger photo (up to the 800 pixels) we can see it better.
For example, I am lazy, so I usually resize to 764 pixels and add 35 pixels of frame and put my watermark (just a signature) on the lower right where it is (i think) less disturbing.
I really don't mind if someone will take my photo, cut the frame and signature and use the remaining for its own.
I always have the original large size shot, which i think is the only one that can be used professionally or for prints.
But again, this is how I feel, you can do as you like.
i understand that you are a professional photographer so you carefully want to protect your copyright.
Anyway consider one member browsing through TE, if he/she does not read carefully your Intro description, he/she will end noting that the photo is beautiful but a bit smaller than usual and with a someway disturbing watermark..... so forgive them !
Maybe you could put the advice at the end of each photo's note.

Regards,
Alberto.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 PM
TE Senior Member

alberto..your email came to me..mrcrow...hope you sent a main one to gordon..
i can appreciate his advice...i had 100's of 6x7 transparencies with an agency and they sold some to the maxwell group..i never got paid and they were almost trussed up in sleeves and red crosses and copyright obligations...which were bypassed easily by the group agreeing to the contract of use...as is said...maxwell went bust and i dont care now...
i have had some of my TE shots in galleries and on websites used by others..no charge..its pro bono when you are an amateur...any way i am retired and have enough to live on
Old 03-17-2006, 01:21 PM
TE Newbie

Alberto, no I am not a professional photography. This is a hobby, but I do market images to help pay for it.
I agree the low-res images cannot be used for much, but it's amazing what they are stolen for: CD covers (as mentioned in the thread I linkedabove); mine have taken for use on websites to advertise holidays; and some may be sufficient for small newspaper use.
your only real protection is the size/quality you choose to put on the net. I choose 550pixels.
Small watermarks are easility cropped/cloned out but they are there as a statement that I enforce copyright, and also if the image finds it's way around and someone genuinely wants to licence the higher res then they can find me. No contact details means once taken from a website no one can trace it (unless you use digimark or the like).
So size protection for me equals - 550 pixels
So traceability for me equals - small website url

Regards

Gordon
Old 03-17-2006, 03:35 PM
TE Senior Member

:)
old alberto and mrcrow seem to have gotten mixed up in the post..
i understand your reasons etc..
but why dont you keep posting ...there are loads of shots come on here smaller than yours with something written on them..
cheers
geof..mrcrow..:D
Old 03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
TE Expert

Hi Gordon
Having one of my photo illegaly used by a website and getting a generic excuse for doing so,I have decided to use a watermark on my photos,but reading this thread,I realize that it is not enough,an address is also necessary and I will add one.
I consider that you should do what you feel is neessary to protect what is yours and for us to accept it.Up to now,I did not get any comment about adding the watermark,I will guess that the picture size is more disturbing but in no way interfere with its readability.
So,stay on.This site is very versatile and do not forget,you can not please everyone in life and be pleased by everyone.
Excuse my english.

Have a nice day .
Charles
Old 03-21-2006, 02:42 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for the reply Charles, let's see how many "please remove your name" comments you have when you add it to your shots. It's very tiring reading them!

As you say it's probably the size that is the most annoying, but the size/quality you choose to upload is your only real protection.

Perhaps I'm in a minority, assessing and controlling the misuse of my images. I know there are very many better photographers out there than me - and many many on TE. But I choose to pre-empt mis-use at the uploading stage, rather than all the other threads trying to work out what to do AFTER an image has been taken from TE and mis-used. Whilst my images are not perfect, certainly not the best I know some of them are marketable to travel companies, and I choose to make it less easy for them to take them.

I'm interested in all views on the subject
Gordon
Old 03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
TE Senior Member

I'm interested in all views on the subject

Quite honestly Gordon, your words imply that this is not true. You are clearly perturbed that people comment both on the size of your photos and on your watermarking and you have pretty much said that you will continue to do so. To me this is the same as saying that you don't care about those who say your photos are too small and the watermark unattractive. This is completely valid on your part, but so is the opinion of those who dislike small and watermarked.

I have never critiqued one of your shots, but if I had, there is a very good chance that I would have mentioned either one, or both of the issues at hand. When writing a critique, I basically try to say how the photo impacts me and how I think it might be made better. For me, the size, especially of landscape images, can be a negative and I have to admit that I find the watermarking to be too much for my tastes. Actually, not that the design of the watermark is bad, but I don't care for your positioning. As these two aspects affect my enjoyment of an image, I believe it is very valid to make that a part of a critique. Same with frames, which you don't use. You can disagree with those who make these comments, but to deny their validity (as it relates to the critic who left them) is wrong IMO.

Now, I too don't post full 800 pixel images, for the same reason you keep yours small. I do get the odd comment that mind are too small as well. I don't mind these responses at all and Ibelieve it is perfectly valid and acceptable that they are made towards me. If someone doesn't like something about a shot of mine, I want to know about it, even if it is someting I am not willing to change. It is still feedback after all, and isn't that why we are here?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:07 PM
TE Newbie

"I'm interested in all views on the subject

Quite honestly Gordon, your words imply that this is not true. "

Darren,

Yes I am interested to hear the views of anybody who wishes to discuss the subject. That's why I said I am interested.

I may or may not change the way I post images on the web, but I am very interested to hear what others think of this matter, and why I come back to the thread to read the comments. Thank you for yours, but please don't call me a liar.

Gordon