Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good joseelias 2006-02-22 9:26

Interesting composition. I particularly like the strong geometry which dominates the composition as there aren’t strong organic elements in it. Also like the warm tones which make the image more appealing as modern architecture is somewhat “cold”.

Still, I think that some things could be made to turn this image more appealing. One is the perspective distortion, especially in the right side. It could be a good idea to correct it as it creates the feeling that the photo is falling to the left side. Another idea, more creative, would be to enhance this distortion in the left and right side so we would get the feeling of very tall buildings.

Some more sharpness would also be good as it would make the details pop-up.

Old 02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
TE Newbie

Default To joseelias: thanks

Jose, thanks for your critics, it´s very usefull. I think i must practice with photoshop, i´ll try to repost the image with distorsion corrected when i´ll fight with menus & submenus ;).

By other side, i think sharpness is a problem of jpeg compression to reach the 200k required. Also i´m using jpeg mode in the "d50" and no RAW, because i don´t know what the hell RAW is... The photos i´m sending to TE are from my new camera... sometimes i miss my "analog" SLR..

Thank you Jose, and sorry, my english level is just "basic"
Un saludo,
David.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: To joseelias: thanks

Hi David,

You can write in Castellano as I understand it easily. Regarding the RAW I’m not the best person to explain it but I can say that it’s a professional format where the image captured has no processing at all by the camera. It’s a format that retains the pure information captured by the sensor of the camera. Like the negative in analogue cameras.

For example jpeg, applies a compression factor, which reduces the image size but also the quality of the capture. Also the brightness, color and all other issues are blended into one image which makes it more difficult to work separately without affecting other parameters of the photo. The advantage besides a smaller file size is that it produces a “final” image.

With RAW, the information of exposure, color, contrasts, etc., are recorded separately which allows the photographer to balance all to his liking without quality loss. This is particularly important in photos with strong light differences from light to dark for example. But before it becomes an “Image” it must be worked in the pc and the photographer needs to control all the parameters. It requires more work, occupies more space but the result are more professional.

I believe that your camera brought software to deal with raw photos. And I advise you to search in the web information about Raw. Look at this link for better explanations:

“Understanding Raw Files”

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml

and also “RAW Mode Vs. JPG”:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/raw_vs_jpg.shtml

About the sharpness you must remember to always sharpen after resizing the image. If you must compress the image too much, than it’s better to post images with 700 pixels max instead of the 800, because you will not need to compress it so much. It’s better a small, clear, sharp image, than a bigger one blurred and filled with artifacts and noise.