always in doubt... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
TE Newbie

Default always in doubt...

I had a Fuji Finepix 2600 Zoom, which was fine for taking snapshots and I loved the zoom on it. But now it has broken and I'm using a videocamera for taking photos! Now I think it is time for me to buy a real camera. Because there are so many choices, I'm always in doubt and end up buying nothing. I'm thinking something in the Canon-Powershot category. Does anyone have any advice? Is this a good choice - and if so, which Powershot?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:27 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: always in doubt...

Hi Anita,

Sorry to hear that your camera is broken!

Were you happy with your Fuji? If so, why not buy another one? As for which is a good choice it is hard to say. A lot has to do with what you want in a camera. How many features and what kind of features do you want.

Canon makes good cameras and so do many other manufacturers.

It is tough trying to find the right camera based on reviews. Everyone has an opinion and sometimes you get the point that you land up not buying one for a long time.

See if you can buy a camera with a satisfaction guarantee of about 7 to 10 days. That is really the only way to tell what is best for you.

They all have their pros and cons. I like my more expensive Pentax Digital SLR but there are many times that my old Kodak 2megapixel would have been better to carry around and use. Most digital SLR cameras are a lot more expensive than the point and shot. You also have to consider which lens you want for an SLR. And then there is the dust issue on the sensor you need to be aware of. SLR will take a great picture but take some time to get used to. They have a much steeper learning curve than a point and shoot.

A point and shoot is quick and handy, but you are limited by the lens that comes with it. But that could do you fine for most of the pictures you want to take. Many point and shoots have lag time issues when taking pictures compared to SLR. If you a taking a lot of pics of sports . . . a point and shoot may not suit you.

So many choices as you say . . . but testing and knowing what you want will narrow the choice.

All the best!

Peter
Old 02-11-2006, 09:05 PM
TE Newbie

Hello Peter!
I read the story about your camera - how terrible! Were you able to forgive your "borrower"?
Thank you for your reply. You're not going to believe it, but before my digital days I used a very old Praktika SLR that I inherited from an uncle. I might dig that one up again, to remember what it feels like to fiddle with shutters etc...
Old 02-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Banned

Hi Anita,
Accordng to what I have been reading lately, one of the lading compacts is the fuji F11, very reactive and handles very well noise, something most compacts have problems with.
Jean-Yves
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 AM

As a matter of interest, did you find anything on your old camera limiting?

Do you tend to shoot at the wideangle end of the zoom, or the telephoto?

Agree with Jean-Yves though, the F11 looks very interesting to me too.

The only other suggestion would be something with a built in Image Stabilizer.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:32 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks Jean-Yves and Adrian, the F11 sounds like something to look into...
To answer Adrian's questions: with my old camera I didn't achieve a lot of variation in DOF. It didn't have any noise problems, but since it was my first digital camera I didn't know that could be an issue :)
I used the telephoto a lot - indoors it has the advantage of regulating the amount of light from the flash, outdoors you can adjust your frame easily and catch people behaving more naturally...
Does this make any sense?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Anita,

Oh yes, I was able to forgive the borrower, it's only material. I was glad to get so many pictures out of it anyway.

"I might dig that one up again, to remember what it feels like to fiddle with shutters etc..." < That is why I bought my Pentax *istDS SLR Anita. I had missed the feel and "sound" of my old film camera. My new digital Pentax feels so much like my film SLR that it feels like the old days where I just focused on taking pictures and having fun :)

All the best in your camera hunt Anita . . .

Peter