Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Luko 2004-05-01 14:08

That's a lovely shot because the two separate grounds each provide interesting features : bluebell against fern leaf (or whatever, I'm a bit of an ignorant when it comes to flora...) in the foreground and a pointillistic representation of the spring season in the background.
This is also enhanced by the fact you chose a vertical format, giving you enough room to compose for distinctive fore and back grounds.

Of course the separation is due to your excellent choice of DOF but I'll point out my main pick here : I'm distracted with the blurry bluebells in the very foreground, as for my eyes "blurry" means background area in your image, it's like the background was coming to the fore....see...

I would have liked better all the flowers from the foreground to the tallest bluebell to be perfectly sharp. This could IMHO have been possible somewhere near f/8 with the focus closer to the foreground. Of course this should be controled through the viewfinder, but I don't know whether the EOS10 has DOF control.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:14 AM

Default To Luko: Good critique, thanks :)

Thanks for your excellent critique :)

Yes the 10D has DOF preview. I can see where you're coming from about the foreground certainly, although I did try it through the viewfinder and I thought the foreground looked "cluttered" with Bluebell stems and leaves etc. That said you could well be correct, photography is rather subjective at the best of times!

In the end I decided to isolate just the bracken (which is indeed a type of fern) and that bluebell "facing" it. Hard to say whether I made the right call really, but I like it and that's the bit that's important to me ;)