Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 AM
TE Senior Member

photoshop dont create good colours, it just enhances the colours already there

if the colours are bad to start with, photoshop wouldn't make a difference - the picture would just feel computer generated.

like lighting, great colours are mostly due to correct exposure and lighting, then filters, the camera sensor and then photoshop

and if you're shooting RAW, you must go through photoshop anyway and from the RAW editor, choose the colour you want through white balance and satruation settings etc (that would not give you ''good'' colours, but only different 'choice' of colours)

as for jpegs, dont use them

unless theres not enough memory on the SD card...

to me, shooting jpeg is like limiting the full potential of a DSLR...
Old 09-16-2010, 02:47 PM
TE Newbie

The lens hood is probably not a big deal if you are careful with sun glare - most lens comes with one. I wouldn't spend much on it.
By tweaking my camera settings and bracketing my exposure, I have found I can make a very acceptable JPG. So I end up switching the camera "Quality" to JPG+Raw on special or tricky shots - only about 20%. It gives me great pleasure to be able to post a photo right out of the camera.
Another thing you might try is bracketing your shots by 0.5 to 1 stop so you have a few different exposures to pick from. Also I use Exposure Compensation a lot - just checking my display carefully.
Its pretty easy to "attach" a small photo to these posts. Maybe we can see some of you shots right out of the camera that way.
regards, ........ Dave
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks Dave and Cheuk, I have posted a image from Basillica in Montreal..Can you please have a look at it comment on the colors and composition ? This was taken 5-6 months ago so, it was shot in JPEG.

Thanks
Ajinkya
Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM
TE Newbie

I did a critique of your beautiful photo:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Nor...oto1240654.htm
As I said, if this was right out of the camera, it did a pretty good job. It is all a matter of taste with this issue. What do YOU think of the colours? Also it would be interesting to see if there are other very similar photos to compare with. Maybe we can get another Workshop going comparing how different cameras handle this situation. I'm afraid I don't have much to compare as most of my inside-church shots have some daylight coming in - maybe someone else does.
What I did when I first got my new camera was to take the same typical shot with my Custom Colour Setting set at different values....took notes ..... had a good look on the computer. I ended up using my "Neutral" setting and tweaking up the saturation by one notch. That gives me a setting I use all the time that produces colour to MY liking. I sometimes change the setting to "Vivid" when I really want the colour to pop. If you take "Raw" all this is a bit pointless as you go through the extra step of setting your colour in software - except it varies your "starting point" on the Raw conversion. Another thing to experiment with is shooting JPG+Raw and see what you need to do in your Raw conversion to get the colours you like, then tweak your Custom JPG settings accordingly. I can detail this stuff if you wish.
Lets see some more photos!
- Dave
Old 09-21-2010, 04:38 PM
TE Newbie

Thank you Dave for your critique.
Coincidentally, I have also started to use a Neutral setting and I have customized its sharpness, saturation and contrast as per my test.
I thought colours in this picture were good
Trying to get more such pictures.

Yes, its a good idea to get the workshop going.
Actually, I think every one should also provide there unprocessed image

I am yet to try RAW+JPG format. Will let you know. I'll post a few more pics.

Thanks
Ajinkya