Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-26-2004, 03:45 AM
TE Newbie

Default Tips for successful church interiors

I can never seem to get church interiors right. Either they're blurry because of the lack of light. Or the stained glass windows are overexposed and look white/undetailed. Or the scene is just too big for my objective, and I can't seem to get any perspective. Or everything looks grayish and noisy.

I took dozens of church pictures on my last trip to Europe, and none ended up even halfway decent. I don't have a fabulous camera (Canon A30) but it normally takes nice pictures, so I guess the problem is with the photographer :)

What's your technique for capturing church interiors well? Is there some secret that I'm missing?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:51 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Tips for successful church interiors

Set your camera to aperture mode and choose, let's say, f7 for wide scene, f2 for a stanined-glass or detail.

Then, use a tripod or hold your camera tight against a pillar, a bench so you get no blur due to the long exposure... And that's it :) Have a llok at my portefolio, you may find setup exemples...

Regards,

Steven
Old 10-07-2004, 12:11 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Tripod&bracketing

Hi!

I don't think ther is one single trick, but many small details. i can tell you something. First of all, digital cameras have incredible capabilites in poor light conditions. Even if a picture seems to dark, there is still a lot of information in it. You can always pick it out with good workshopping. But let me tell you some suggestions.
Most important is the tripod, so you don't worry about the exposure time. Remember to set the noise reduction on, if you have it. Then, for what the exposure regards, the best choice is bracketing: try three different exposures and pick up the best one. Keep the sensivity low, to reduce noise. Play with the white balance: bracketing helps in this case too. Give to AF the time to focus properly, and try manual focusing if possible. When you take pictures of windows, you have to expose the window only, not the whole scene. If you have it, use the spot metering, or reduce exposure for 1 or 2 stops. flash works good only with small distances: avoid it for great DOFs.

Let me know if this can help.

Bye

Marko