Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM
TE Newbie

Default Light

Hello,

How to get "correct" light during day ? My issue is most of the pictures I take during day has very harsh light .
I cant beleive that all the good pictures taken, had perfect day light !!

For example, the photograph in the below link was taken in the daylight, but the light looks soothing in the picture. How to acheive it ?http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asi...oto1226736.htm

If PP is done on these kind of images, what kind of PP is done. If camera setting is done then what kind of setting is done ?

Please advise.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 PM
TE Senior Member

hihi,

just like colours, if the light is bad - it's bad. you could to some extent use filters like warming filter, skylight filter, circular polarizer, neutral gradient density filter and of course Photoshop. but these won't create the good light, they only enhance it.

and yes, that photo has great lighting. notice that there's light on one side of the shepherd and shadows on the other side. this suggests a low angle light source from left to right, and thanks to refraction off air molecules, the light is rendered orange and warm --> soothing.

i guess it's shot either during dawn or dusk. or, very very unlikely, there is some kind of gap in the clouds shining a beam of light which reflects off some water surface and then onto the subject...

so, avoid shooting during lunch time. (i mean landscapes) in my experience you get the best light from like 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and then 4 pm to 6 pm etc.

and i think a warming filter or skylight filter or UV to some extent gives you some orange tones even though u shot the image during lunch time harsh lighting...

and if you not doing landscapes, say urban setting, you get light bouncing off buildings etc so harsh lighting not a big issue...

and about PP, i doubt theres much done on that picture. and of course, PP won't give u good light, you have to get it yourself...