Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2021-11-21 8:34

Hello Paul, As you know, I love visiting all mosques. Usually, I can go inside, even being a woman. But often I had been dressed in an appropriate way. Oft even trousers are not allowed, it must be a long dress and head cover. Probably the only countries that the non-Muslims are not allowed are Morocco and Tunisia. I do not remember how it was in Saudi Arabia. Of course, the whole Makkah and Medina are forbidden. I do not remember if I was in any mosque in Jeddah. There were some problems for women in Baku. Anyway, fantastic scene. And I love this Arabic calligraphy. "Allah" I recognize at once.

Best regrads Malgo

Old 11-21-2021, 06:05 PM
TE Expert

Default To emka: Visiting mosques

Hello Malgo,

A pity you don't remember anymore how it was in Saudi Arabia.
You're one of the very few western people who was there as a visitor.
I wonder if the relaxations they've implemented not that long ago have changed something about visiting a mosque.

In my note I wrote the Maghreb countries but from my own experience I can only speak about Morocco and Tunisia.
I seem to remember that a long time ago someone told me a similar story about the M'Zab region in Algeria.
And someone else once told me that the ban on non-Muslims from entering a mosque has something to do with the French colonial era. But I don't know the real reason.

Dressing correctly is the least non-Muslims can do to enter a mosque, I think. I also have no problem with that.

All the best!
Paul