Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Default New Category?

Not sure where this should go, really, but I've been thinking for a bit that there might be room for another photo category: Historical. This might of course just be my bias as someone who takes a lot of historically themed shots, but it's sometimes hard to know where to place such things; architecture or nature don't always fit, nor do ruins or events.

For example, a shot of a battlefield - yes, technically it is likely a nature shot or at least it involves nature, but that's not really the purpose of the shot itself. I suppose a loose interpretation of 'event' would work, but I guess I see that more as the category for shots of the event itself, not the place the event happened many years ago.

Just a thought, and obviously a mildly selfish one!

Andrew (ACL1978)
Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 AM

The categories are a bit limiting aren't they. The ability to choose more than one category might be useful too. I don't think you can do that at present.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 AM
TE Senior Member

Default ability

"The categories are a bit limiting aren't they. The ability to choose more than one category might be useful too. I don't think you can do that at present."

Great to know that the moderators challenge them self and their power.........
Old 11-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo61 View Post
"The categories are a bit limiting aren't they. The ability to choose more than one category might be useful too. I don't think you can do that at present."

Great to know that the moderators challenge them self and their power.........
What a very silly comment. You're like a dog with a bone, aren't you. Why not offer the member a useful comment, maybe suggest a new category that could be recommended to the administration/site designers, or a way around it for his historical shots?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Andrew, and Keith, you can choose more than one category in combination. I don't think other members would be too concerned if you chose a combination of categories, none of which really seemed to fit. But there's nothing wrong with 'Decisive moment' combined with 'Event', 'Ceremony' or even 'Festivals'; the important thing with such a photo would be the note accompanying it. But there's probably no reason why 'Historial' shouldn't be added to the list. Or perhaps 'Commemoration'? Anyway, don't worry too much for the time being, as some people select the wrong categories accidentally and nobody complains as far as I know.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm certainly not concerned - just noticed a possible gap and figured I'd make a suggestion. For now I'll happily use whatever category fits best. And yes, choosing more than one is possible; just hold down the Ctrl key and select multiple, they'll all be highlighted.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 AM
TE Expert

Post New Categories

Hi The Andrews and Keith

What a really good and positive suggestion. And I think Ian (Ifege) suggested the addition of a "Street Photography" category. Do you think ideas could be implemented or does something like that require a complete re-build?

Cheers
Lisa - Determined not to feed the trolls
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 AM
TE Expert

I agree with the suggestion to expand the number of categories.
"street photography" is not always a "decisive moment"; and "historical" is not always "ruins" or "landscapes" or even "castles"...
But, as an amateur web designer, I suspect that, as Lisa says, this may require a complete re-build, and things may turn out not as easy as they seem.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM
TE Newbie

Hello.
Sounds reasonable to have a few more categories if people see the need for it, but researches based on these new categories would be limited to photos posted after their introduction. If I never post photos with history as main subject, I sometime post rural landscapes, i.e. a rural view with some buildings and the natural setting. No exact category for that type of photo. I usually select "architecture"+"nature", but these categories are not really the main subject of these photos. A category "rural view" would likely be more appropriate. The same for the many photos showing a view of a city without concentrating on the architecture or a daily life scene: a "urban view" category could perhaps be more appropriate.
Regarding the "historical" proposed category, all the categories being designed by a substantive, so one could think that "history" would suit better. It would also have the advantage of suiting both "historical" and "historic" subjects (historical normally meaning "having taken place in history" or "from the past" or "having to do with history", and historic meaning "having significance in history", like for a historic place or event.)
Claude