Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-19-2009, 01:51 AM
TE Newbie

Default No Notes

Given the theme of TrekEarth is to learn more about the earth through photgraphy I am surprised by the number of photos which are posted without any explanatory notes. Today a photo has been posted not only without notes but even without a title.

A picture may be worth a thousand words but a few words about where and or how the image was captured or something else of significance would add so much more to the contribution.

In my view such photos don't comply with the objectives of the site and should possibly be taken down by the moderators. For my part I won't comment on or rate any images without notes.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 AM

Default Re: No Notes

I agree on all points raised Austin.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 PM
TE Senior Member

if I see a photo of the Eiffel tower, I wonder if I'll read the note ^^ but I agree with you
Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM

With something as well known as the Eiffel Tower, there may be some excuse for not including notes. For the vast majority of images posted few apart from the photographer will be familiar with the location.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Austin,

I agree fully but it looks like the optional nature of notes is here to stay as it is unfortunately delineated in the TOS. I have submitted several suggestions on mandating notes with images but the administration choose not to stating that doing so would encourage too much "cut & paste" notes. I don't agree with that but I defer to their ruling I guess. It has been about a year since I last submitted the suggestion.

I guess the best way is to simply not provide feedback to images without notes.

Cheers all!

Bob G.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
TE Expert

I don't agree. Even with the Eiffel Tower you can write a good and interesting note if you don't make a copy-paste of Wikipedia. The proff is here
JP
Old 04-20-2009, 03:46 PM
TE Senior Member

Jean-Pierre, je n'étais pas catégorique, ta note mise en lien montre qu'on peut sortir de l'ordinaire avec un sujet aussi connu que la tour Eiffel^^
Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 PM
TE Expert

I agree completely and tried to never comment or critique on shots without notes. I couldn't, there are some absolutely fabulous shots that are worthy of comment that have no notes. In general I agree but there are exceptions and the main one may be language barriers, even the translation programs don't do them all.

Greg