Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 06-07-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Magnum and small digital cameras

here is a very interesting article about Alex Majoli - a Magnum photographer and cameras he uses Alex Majoli points and shoots

surprising, huh?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Magnum and small digital cameras

Yes, I saw that. I guess it goes to show that the operator is really what takes the photo, not the camera. His conversions to b&w are really good too.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Thanks for the link, Maciek. Yeah, it's quite a shock to see one of the better Magnum photogs shooting with a digital Olympus P&S camera (and to read that he used to shoot with an M-series Leica). So I guess it's not the camera that makes the picture, it's the photographer. I mean you yourself have some stunning shots from Vietnam you did with your PowerShot G3...so there you go. I also read somewhere (can't remember now exaclty where) that McCurry was shooting with a Sony DSC-F828 digital camera (I think in Cambodia but I could be wrong).
Old 06-07-2005, 06:08 PM

but maybe he uses those small cameras because Olympus pays him to do that - I don't know.
What I know is that I miss those small tilting LCD screens. Especially here in the UK, where people don't like cameras pointed at them much.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
TE Senior Member

I read that McCurry shot his Angkor book with the Sony, but I don't recall the source and at the time I didn't really believe it. Still don't to be honest. Strangely, I find that book to be one of his weakest. I have read more recently that he still shoots with old, manual Nikons and my guess is that he still does, although it wouldn't surprise me to know he has done some work with the Sony. I know that with the workshops he offers in NY, he shoots film and discusses the scanning, photoshop work and printing from there on, which makes me believe he is still a film guy. I know he used to do promotional work with Kodak as well, which makes me further question the Sony link. Anything is of course possible.

On Nat Geo, I saw a special on him which says he has a portfolio of a million slides in his apartment. A million!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Yeah, I like the tilting screens as well. In the article it says that the first time he used Olympus P&S gear was during the African shoot (A Day In The Life Of Africa) which, you guessed it, was sponsored by Olympus. So perhaps it may be true that Olympus gives him a nice kick-back if he says that he uses their cameras. Anyway, these guys also need to make money, so if someone wants you to sponsor their gear...why not?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:38 PM
TE Junior Member

A million slides! Jeez, imagine that!

I have the Angkor book...there are a few shots that are pretty cool, but the architectural shots he makes within the complex are a bit dull and I think take up to many pages in the book itself. It would have been better if he had focused on the people of Angkor...something he can do much better than taking pictures of still life objects.

And, perhaps like Alex Majoli, McCurry did the Sony thing just for the cash. But who knows for sure?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Here are a few other images shot with Olympus P&S cameras. I gather that the photogs on this site are all there because in one way or another they do promotion work for Olympus. Anyway, some of the shots are pretty good. Here's the link:

Olympus Camedia Gallery
Old 06-07-2005, 07:10 PM
TE Senior Member

Not all of those are done with P&S cameras. Mitsuaki Iwago is a well known nature photographer (the only name I recognzed at first glance) who shoots with the Olympus E-1 and E-300 DSLRs. I have a promo calander from last year of some of his stuff and it is really well done. From the bio photos, it looks like others are using DSLRs, not just point and shoots.

Whatever camera is being used though, it will remain the photographer, not the gear which is important.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:14 PM
TE Junior Member

"Whatever camera is being used though, it will remain the photographer, not the gear which is important."

And that's the bottom line. Well said, Darren.