Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 AM
TE Expert

Smile To Royaldevon: Protest

Ciao dear Bev

Oh yes, people are protesting in their droves, even people who were never political before. I've been part of the protest movement since I was in high school. Proud to have been part of the Save The Daintree Rainforest, and Save The Franklin/Gordon protests in the 1980s and 1990s and many protests against the logging of our old growth forests, wood-chipping and the new danger we all face - fracking/hydraulic fracturing of coal seam gas. As a criminal lawyer, I often work pro bono for conservation groups whose protesters have been charged with breaching the peace, offensive behaviour and having locked-on to the logging machines.

In March, 100,000 of us marched against what the Government are doing to the Great Barrier Reef (dumping 3 million cubic tonnes of mining waste on it - see my photo http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Oce...oto1459282.htm) and what they're planning for Tasmania's World Heritage forests. We've written, signed petitions, been to group action meetings, all in the hope that something can be done against this pillaging of our environment. We also protested in Sydney in February outside the PM's office and will protest again in May. In 2 states, the conservative governments have made it illegal to protest. In my state it is still barely legal, but that won't stop us!

Thank you for your support and your empathy!

Cheers
Lisa

Last edited by delpeoples; 05-10-2014 at 08:00 AM.