Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-08-2003, 07:34 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: chalcone/Michael...

OK, so the OP should have said "I'm off traveling for a couple of years in places where one isn't going to find reliable electricity or readily available phones, ...." That's somewhat of a mouthful.

Look, I grew up in the boonies in east Tennessee. I live in the sticks in northern California. I don't like it when people use those terms to talk down about 'our place'. But I don't mind it when it's simply used to describe the conditions that one will encounter.

I think it's attitude more than terms.

And, like it or not, there are countries and parts of countries that are more 'modern' or 'developed' than others. Some term is going to be applied. It means nothing to me that you are going to Zhuhai. I have no idea about what the conditions are there.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:43 AM
TE Newbie

Bob, the question is, do we really need to know that where you are travelling is "...where one isn't going to find reliable electricity or readily available phones, ...." Who said that we had to hear a mouthful? Why don't you ust say you're going to <fill in the blank>. I personally don't want to hear your prejudice about where you want to go.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:14 AM
TE Senior Member

Michael, I'm very sorry that I've (apparently) offended you.

I seem to have done a very poor job of communicating with you as you have obviously not understood what I was trying to both ask and explain.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:11 AM
TE Newbie

The countries that I'll be traveling through: Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar, India, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Turkey, Iran?, Kazakhstan (or Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine), Russia, Mongolia,
China, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

.... and that is definitely a mouthful.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:40 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks.

Are you saying that to defend your method of lumping all those countries under "3rd world"? I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one offended by that. So, I appreciate you having to say a mouthful for all the rest who are not as reasonably desensitized as I am to labels.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:22 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: 3rd world travel with a laptop

I have attached a description of where the term came from, but hopefully this will end the discussion ang get us back to photography. The term was not intended to be used as a slur on anyone or anything - it is a common descriptive phrase in some areas, but any descriptive phrase will offend somebody so lets all learn to be a bit careful with phraseology and move on.

"The economically underdeveloped countries of Asia, Africa, Oceania, and Latin America, considered as an entity with common characteristics, such as poverty, high birthrates, and economic dependence on the advanced countries. The French demographer Alfred Sauvy coined the expression ("tiers monde" in French) in 1952 by analogy with the "third estate," the commoners of France before and during the French Revolution-as opposed to priests and nobles, comprising the first and second estates respectively. Like the third estate, wrote Sauvy, the third world is nothing, and it "wants to be something." The term therefore implies that the third world is exploited, much as the third estate was exploited, and that, like the third estate its destiny is a revolutionary one. It conveys as well a second idea, also discussed by Sauvy, that of non-alignment, for the third world belongs neither to the industrialized capitalist world nor to the industrialized Communist bloc. The expression third world was used at the 1955 conference of Afro-Asian countries held in Bandung, Indonesia. In 1956 a group of social scientists associated with Sauvy's National Institute of Demographic Studies, in Paris, published a book called Le Tiers-Monde. Three years later, the French economist Francois Perroux launched a new journal, on problems of underdevelopment, with the same title. By the end of the 1950's the term was frequently employed in the French media to refer to the underdeveloped countries of Asia, Africa, Oceania, and Latin America."