Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-27-2008, 01:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Capa

Can you believe this?
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2247775,00.html

"A lost treasure trove containing thousands of negatives by one of the world's most famous photographers, Robert Capa, has been recovered.

Hailed as the 'holy grail' of photojournalism, the discovery of the long-mourned cache of photographs after almost 70 years has sent shockwaves through the photography world.
. . . . .
The discovery of the pictures, revealed by the New York Times, is being hailed as a huge event, partly because it is hoped that the negatives could settle once and for all the question that has dogged Capa's legacy: whether what may be his most famous picture - and one of the most famous war photographs of all time - was staged."

Don't know about the shockwaves, but the last part . . . . .
Old 01-27-2008, 02:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Capa

David,

I presume they're referring to the shot of the soldier falling backwards after being 'shot' during the Spanish Civil War?

It will be fascinating to know whether it was staged or not but I doubt, even if it was staged, that it will severely impact his reputation.

Robert Capa was a colossus of a photographer and he took thousands of photos in circumstances which, quite patently, could not possibly have been staged.

I really hope that people are more interested in adding to his legendary status when looking through this new archive than they are in trying to undermine the reputation of one of the greatest photojournalists who ever drew breath.

Paul.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:27 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Capa

Paul,

I completely agree. I didn't even think about undermining. The poster was hanging on my wall 30 years ago, and it's more the excitement that the question might be solved that I was thinking about when I read it. I don't think the photo was a fake, precisely for the reason you give.
The foundation that his brother founded will get the negatives, and let's hope that they will publish some of this work.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Capa - better article

this is the original article;
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/arts/design/27kenn.html?em&ex=1201496400&en=889444e5cac9429c&e i=5087%0A

with photo's of the 'suitcases'.

have a nice day to all of you :)