Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 12:25 PM
TE Expert

Default Calibration of primary colors on TE

Maybe it already exists, but I was looking for a calibration of primary colors on TE so everyone can settle monitors at most just, and remarks on the colors and the contrasts are more meaningful.

Does this would be feasible and useful?

------------------------------------

Version française:
Peut-être que cela existe déjà, mais je cherchais une calibration des couleurs primaires sur TE pour que tout le monde puisse régler les moniteurs au plus juste, ainsi les remarques sur les couleurs et les contrastes seront plus parlantes.

Est-ce que cela serait envisageable et utile?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Calibration of primary colors on TE

Not readily achievable IMO, as many people have colour vision defects and without anything to compare the colours against it's hard to say what's right and what's wrong.

That's the reason I only did a B&W test. In most cases there isn't an RGB bias adjust anyway, or if there is it's in terms of white balance presets (6500K etc); so you can't really change the colours on most systems anyway.

If anyone's really that concerned IMO they probably should be looking at a hardware calibration device anyway. I use a Spyder2PRO, but there are a multitude of options out there.

There's also the unfortunate matter of colour profiles. The majority of web browsers currently in use (IE6/7 FF2 etc) aren't profile aware, so if you save your JPEG with an embedded colour profile it may or may not get picked up by the browser. This is why I always recommend people use SaveForWeb and uncheck ICC profile; when they see that all systems will use an implied sRGB colourspace.

As a final twist, contrast, colour balance, saturation etc are largely a matter of personal taste anyway; some people like high saturation, high contrast and warm tones; some prefer the exact opposite.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
TE Expert

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your very comprehensive answer, it is true that there are so many variables between the shooting and trekearth on display, it will be impossible to do something.

And a charter gray, is that there are any one?

Regards
Philippe
Old 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM
TE Expert

this could maybe help to calibrate colors if you don't have eye1/spyder
http://www.eizo.cz/pool/files/de/Eizo_Monitortest.zip
http://www.eizo.nl/pool/files/nl/Eizo_Monitortest.zip
Old 07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
TE Expert

thank you for this very useful link is what I was looking ...

And is it could not be displayed on a page Trekearth?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Remember TE isn't intended to be a monitor calibration test suite.

That Eizo test suite didn't show anything particularly interesting anyway IMO, there's no check for colour balance, or colour accuracy, and those are the two most important things after greyscale accuracy which you can already roughly assess using the TE test bar.

If you want to calibrate your system properly, I *strongly* recommend you buy a good hardware and software solution.

I've only seen one attempt at calibrating colour as well as greyscale via software only, and it left my monitor so spectacularly green it was obvious that it didn't work correctly on my system. It may just be a quirk of my system, or a bug in that particularly version. The free tool I tried was QuickGamma, but that was back in 2006 or so, it may well work perfectly now. My calibration has always been correct when using Spyder2PRO though.