Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default great day for nikon and canon but olympus?????

i have been using the E-1 and its higher end lenses for 3 years now and have been extremely happy with the results, not to mention the money I generated from weddings and portriats and other freelance porjects, along the years but I sadlly say that olympus last pro camera (E-1) came out in 2003!!! i feel put down and almost wanting to switch to the DARK SIDE, what the hell is wrong with these people??? can someone tell me how can nikon come out with the a FULL frame camera D300 and not to mention what canon has acheived and am stuck with a noise over iso400!!!! Olympus has put me down with there promises and 'future goals' can some one tell me why I should NOT SWITCH? can anyone convince me otherwise? or have i been duped from the very begining. Im extremely troubled and have been living in a wishful thinking state that olympus will come out with a new succesor to the E-1 but all i hear is crap.

am currently in my back yard with a tight noose around my neck standing on top of a chair waiting for H O P E can anybody come to my aid? can anybody save my life?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: great day for nikon and canon but olympus?????

The D300 isn't Full Frame i.e. 36x24cm the D3 is.

If you are making money using the current Oly offering why are you so concerned about a new model? The existing one obviously does the job for you. The only 'noose around the neck' that you need to worry about is the financial one if you chase technology when you don't actually need it.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:59 PM
TE Senior Member

I'd agree with what Keith said - if you're happy with the results from your E-1 then why worry?

A replacement for the E-1 is long overdue though, and it needs to be something pretty special to convince the market that there is a future with the small four thirds format. It seems to me that FF is the future at the top end of the market, and I'd expect Nikon to follow hot on the heels with a more affordable FF camera (compared to the D3) as soon as Canon announce their 5D MkII.

My advice would be stick with the E-1 until things calm down a bit and you can weigh up the options. By this time next year Canon and Nikon should have both their top end cameras on the market (1Ds MkIII and D3X - or whatever Nikon decide to call it) and their 'prosumer' FF cameras (5D mkII and and a Nikon FX format competitor).

It will be interesting to see what Olympus pull out of the hat for their E-1 replacement. I hope it's good - Canon and Nikon need the competition to keep them on their toes!
Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 PM
TE Junior Member

Robert, get a grip! They are ONLY cameras. It's who's holding the camera that makes most difference.

Ansel Adams took photos in the early-mid 20th Century with little more than a light-tight box and a decent lens. His images are still stunning - even by today's standards. Why, because he knew the camera is only a tool and it was up to him to get the best out of it.

I'm a Nikon user. Occasionally, I'll look at the Canon 5D and go "Mmmm, nice camera. What if I traded my D200 and bought one?". Then I'll see a shot taken with a 5D that is pretty average and realise that it's not the camera, it's the photographer that creates the photograph.

You pay your money and you take your chance, my friend. Olympus are a great company and have brought out some superb equipment over the years - and will continue to do so.

DO NOT listen to the gear-freaks and techno-junkies. They will cost you your wallet - and your sanity if you let them.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 AM
TE Senior Member

Adam must be on a holyday, because normaly he would move this topic to Tips-Techniques faster . . .

Robert, for years I have been following announcements and waited accoordingly to buy a good camera. I was about to buy an SLR this year, but . . .
I asked on the forum a couple of month ago on the forum what to do, when I got the advice to look at the lens first. I looked into other issues also, talked to some non virtual photographers and I came to the conclusion that I could wait.
The lens is important, I need extra money for that. The camera I have has more opportunities I needed to study. I did so this month, and I was surprised.
Your remark about the low ISO's is another reason why.
Digital photo's are not as good as film, when it comes to light area's. The light area's loose color, detail. With big contrast differences it's even worse.
If you look at all the announcements, prommisses etc, to me it starts to feel like the digital SLR is still developing, but it's not there yet. Spending money on a expensive SLR is only worth it if you make money.
To my surprise I was told to invest in a 6Mp camera, and use the money for the lens. And over time I think the person is right. I also will use my film again.
If you do want to make money, look at the camera that solves your problem the best, use a good lens and indeed, good photo's are not made by the camera, but by the photographer.
In your case, film is not an option if you do wedding's etc, buying a different brand is also not an option if you like your Olympus. But don't listen to the announcements, they're crap. When digital photo's appear on the net where the low ISO's are solved, then you know what to buy. My guess is about three to four more years.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Banned

ive came down from my chair....thx for youe help
Old 09-01-2007, 03:03 AM
TE Senior Member

The D300 isn't Full Frame i.e. 36x24cm the D3 is.

>>>>>>Full frame isn't 36x24cm..
but 36x24mm ;) A 36x24cm sensor would be damn costy and not fit in the price of a D3 ;)

But indeed, the D300 is not full frame and the D3 is.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:06 AM
TE Junior Member

Well Robert, I skimmed through the responses and see you have calmed down, but...
Old 09-01-2007, 06:16 AM
TE Junior Member

sorry, screwed up on the above post -

Well Robert, I skimmed through the responses and see you have calmed down, but...

...honestly, there is no reason not to switch if you are buying a new camera. I owned Oly for awhile and honestly, the first time I picked up a nikon, it was like traveling ten years into the future. I had an E-330 and picked up a Nikon D40...what a difference. After a week, I couldn't believe I was ever duped into using that Oly brick. Now, I only had the 14-54 equipment wise, and I must say that it was the sharpest lens I have ever used, period. But, I would happily give up the sharpest lens I ever used for a body that is lightyears ahead...even though it doesn't have Oly colors. So, basically, if you are about to buy a new camera, think hard first. If you are heavily invested in Oly gear, think harder...but as far as I'm concerned...I will never go back to the "light side". If it's any condolence, Oly gear is extremely resellable - I sold mine for about 75% of what I paid for it. But Oly does have that E3 coming out...for the last two years now, but it's still going to have the smaller size sensor, so think harder.

Sorry, not trying to make things difficult, but I don't know about the 4/3 sensor. It's small. On the other hand, Oly has been known for innovation.

John
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 AM

Good news Robert; the E1's successor is due on the 17th October!

To be honest I suspect part of the problem is that Oly are in a relatively poor position with regard to sensors. AFAIK they don't design their own, and have relied fairly heavily on Matsushita for their sensors in the past. Unfortunately for them Matsushita owns Panasonic, so Panasonic are likely to get first bite at any new sensors for their cameras.