Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-07-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: The trip to Italy

Although Italy is nearby unfortunnatly I can't afford a trip there... :-(((

I would really like to meet some TrekEarthers... But enjoy and get some photos of the exhibition and of youselves. Maybe a small gallery about the event could be created by the photos of those which will go there!
Old 07-07-2004, 03:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Possible TE Exhibition - Italy

Congrats to Adam, and everyone on TE. This really is a tribute to not only Adam's hard work, but to the decency and professionalism of the members of this excellent community.

With regard to photographer's rights etc mentioned here in bgladman's post, I mailed the exhibition coordinator requesting a draft of the contract for the photos. Of course, we shouldn't get paranoid, but I believe we should have some sort of an agreement as to the extent of use we "permit" as the photographers and copyright owners.

The main thing I want to know is the extent of our "permission". Is it purely to display the photos in the exhibitions, or for example does permission extend to printing the photos, maybe creating post cards or photo albums of the exhibition that are sold for profit. If the latter, contributors should perhaps receive some kind of royalty. I'm really not bothered about the money, as the chance to have our work shown in this way is a something I believe none of the members requested will pass-up. I'm just saying we should exercise a little caution when giving the OK.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:05 PM

I also have the same concerns about the use of the images.

Something that I asked in my mail was about the possibility of having some kind of document proofing that I participated in the exhibition. I guess it would be nice to have something to add to a portfolio or curriculum...

Maybe the Museum can issue a small letter using branded paper and with a stamp stating (and/or thanking) for the cooperation of the member with his/her name and eventually the photo in question. That's not complicated once a table be done with the members and desired details. Microsoft Word can easely print after this, personal letters in serie.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:12 PM
TE Junior Member

This is a great idea!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Amazing ... so the photographs are all TE for this particular exhibit? That is awesome! Remember when there used to be several threads here about holding an exhibit, or putting up a book? Our wishes are granted, and we don't even have to do anything!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:51 PM
TE Junior Member

Great post Martin. Should we draft a "exhibition consent" document as a group which all T.E. members can particiate? This would be a tremendous help for the newbies like me to stop scratching my head :D.

I think most or all of us are not really concern about the money but if we do happen to get some royalties, this may be the chance for us to get that charity funds going and we don't even have to move our fingers. Although Adam will have a lot more on his plate. Poor Adam :D
Old 07-07-2004, 07:09 PM
TE Expert

This exhibition have free admittance.

They will have a simple introduction, when entering, presenting the photos and the photographers name - according to their own info.

Mayby, just maybe: should we calm down and just enjoy the pleasure if the media show come through?

And for the right to the photo: Give the exhibition the right to use the photo and to the belonging activities, like pampleths etc.

Each photographer is then still the owner of his photos.

Again: Why is royalities etc coming up - what is this nonsense?

Really...

Jack
Old 07-07-2004, 07:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Thanks Thien. Having looked at the organiser's Web site, it looks like they do this sort of stuff all the time, so I'm expecting they already have a contract drawn up. In which case, it would save us the effort. However, if they do not produce a contract, I have a couple of books full of contract templates that I could probably put something together from quite easily. If others are interested, we could finalize it together and put it forward for consideration.

What I'm trying to say with my statement about royalties is really just that we need to agree the terms before handing over our photos. It is easy for us to say, "yes, you can use my photos" in all the excitement and send our full size images over, but think about what you are saying with this. You are pretty much allowing them to use your photos in any media, and for as long as they want. If, and it's just an if, they made millions selling a best selling book of the exhibition, and they had a mail from each of us saying "yes, you can use my photos" we'd not get a penny.

I need to say, that I'm not trying to be a trouble maker. I am very excited about this chance, I just think we need to proceed carefully. At the very least, we should have an agreement stating that we allow the photos to be used for X number of months for display digitally on screen only. This is all I've heard about thus far. If they want more rights, we should negotiate before we hand over the photos, or state clearly in the initial agreement that any further use of the photos should be negotiated beforehand.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:15 PM
TE Junior Member

It's not nonsense, it's common sense. I've just posted a reply to Thien that expresses my views. I'm definitely not saying we should request royalties if the photos we are being requested to give permission to display are used for that purpose alone. But we should not give out-and-out rights to use our photos without a prior agreement.

I'm just saying we should be careful.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:29 PM
TE Expert

If you read my reply it said:

'And for the right to the photo: Give the exhibition the right to use the photo and to the belonging activities, like pampleths etc.

Each photographer is then still the owner of his photos.'

I am sorry if that is not to understand.

Jack