Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Canon 1000d lens upgrade

Hello all,

I am in need of some advice on which lens to go for, I have decided that i'd like a super zoom with a good focal range and have narrowed it down within my price range to between the Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM and the Tamron 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 Di II LD IF.

From what i have read it seems that the Tamron may be superior in image quality throughout most of the range but that the autofocus is very slow and struggles greatly on moving targets, it is lighter than the sigma lens but this benefits from a superior focusing system.

Does anyone have any experience in these lenses or can offer any other possibilites that i should consider?

Many Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM
TE Senior Member

Default use CANON

If you want quality, buy the same brand objectives with the device. Therefore recommend: Canon 75-300 mm f4-5.6 III USM. Tamron objective is slow to focus and vignetting at the corners SYGMA give an image.
The rest is your choice. I use only Canon targets, one exception has a telephoto 70-200mm f2.8 from Tamron, because are moore cheap than CANON 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM but for large focal length, I will soon buy a 2X doubler picture that will make a super telephoto 140-400mm f5.6

Last edited by nemesiss; 03-25-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Thanks for your reply and recommendation Nemesiss,

I have decided not to go down the superzoom route and instead gone for the Canon 55-250mm IS to add to the kit lens i have as i do not have the funds for the lens you proposed, unfortunately.

Didn't think it was worth spending a couple of hundred pounds more for the pleasure of having the entire range in one lens and probably more compromises on image quality anyway....