To holmertz: A spherical lens.................... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great EstudioChispa 2013-08-15 11:32

By including the prayer flags, you have transformed a static documentary foto of this peak into art. Well done!

Our home -- and some others in Austin -- are decorated with such prayer flags. Ours are strung between the posts on our front porch. From now on, when I see them I will think of this spectacular location!

Russ
Austin, Texas

Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: A spherical lens....................

Hello Gert,

Thank you for your kind remarks yet again!

No, I'm not there in this crystal ball! Everything which you see in the crystal ball - which is simply a spherical glass lens - lies beyond the ball and the image is not only inverted but it is also reversed from side to side too - as with any convex lens.

In reality, the dark wall of St. Giles' Cathedral lies behind the man (off to the right of the main picture) and you can see it in the left part of the ball. Directly behind the man (and some distance away) is a tree which you can see in the centre of the ball. The street disappears off into the distance and you can see the reflections of the brightly lit buildings on the opposite side of the street in the right part of the ball. Does that make it clearer?

I suppose the ball is really acting like a very strong fisheye lens which gives a very wide view of the distant scene and also remarkable depth of field too.

If you're really interested, the physics are described in the first part of this article!

Kind Regards,

John.