Who s really a good photographer in TE ?? - Page 8 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 11:07 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Who s really a good photographer in TE ??

I would not use the world dilusionned, i am very happy with my experience with TE, wether I look and critique others pix, or I poke at the inconsistencies of claiming having a community and not participating as such. But all these good things and shortcomings are built in all net sites. You can't really impose a discipline, you stop learning P. thru TE after about a year, but you make friends, and your work gets seen, like it could never if not online.

The mistake people make here, is to take it all seriously. Like posting a pix every freaking day of the year, and getting personal with someone you never met, and never ever let a good photo be in the way of swapping points :-).

One of the reasons I left France is that everything was done in cliques, every time. It was always the same who were forward playing soccer, the others defended, hardly touching the ball. Just an example, often repeated in all walks of life.

So, every time I see people back slapping themselves, while the others are watching on the side, I have fun thinking what the hell have they really acheieved in that field? How many in that list have a book with almost 2 dozens photos from unlisted Kevinos, on bookstore shelves? How many are really starting a photographic career? Suddenly, the list becomes smaller, and we welcome them all back to keep striving and struggling to achieve a vision and fail most of the time. In photography, we are all defenders, some get to9 throw back the ball back in the game a bit more than others, that's all! :-)

H
Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 AM
TE Junior Member

This thread has really opened a can of worms. Any time a thread gets on to the subject of critiques and points it always fires up peoples passions. I dropped a few names in my earlier post here from a few months ago, which I still stand by. As Herve said, we do need people to inspire us. In all walks of life we need influences and benchmarks. Like Kevin, I too have become very disilusioned with my experience on the trhee Trek sites. But now I'm trying not to take it so seriously. If my posts reach double figures in points I considder it a success. Imagine that. I didn't think I was that bad a photographer. But I guess we all think that of ourselves. To me, there are 2 types of good photographers here. The first are just good at creating beautiful images. But they share nothing and are hard to learn from. I have several in my 'favorites' just because there work is beautiful. The second is the type who tell us about their work, what lens, filter etc. These are the ones we need to look to for inspiration. Critiques will always be contentious. But just don't forget the bottom line: The Photograph!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:52 AM
TE Senior Member

I do not feel there is anything wrong with recognising talent and giving special thanks to people who have helped others to improve and develop their photographic style/vision/ideas.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is not about us.. Its about the people/places/issues we are facing in the world today. I think the objective behind improving our pictures is to encourage more people to look at them..the people mentioned are doing this, so I do not think there is anything wrong with pointing out those members to others who are truly looking to be inspired.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Hey, no problem...

Brendan,

You have a great eye for street photography type shots. Matbe not as "refined" as Furachan, but most of your photos are technically excellent, composed very well and have excellent color and tones. Why I placed you in that list? - You have a really original portfolio. As I said, very "fresh". A skate rat / photographer is what I get from alot of your portfolio...turning more photgrapher and less skate rat as of late.

I am interested to see some of your shots from Morocco. See what you can do in a different environment...

...and it's funny to me actually...went to Morocco, moved to Seattle, took a trip down to burning man...didn't go to Vancouver to often, but it's a great little area of the world.

John
Old 10-06-2007, 05:00 PM
TE Expert

The question wasn't who is the most professional, most successful or most likely to be famous in five years.............it was who is really a good photographer on TE..........we are all capable of taking a good photograph........but not everyone is really a good photographer.......some may see and do things that others can only dream of......the bottom line on what is a good photograph is down to personal and collective tastes.......for sure some people market themselves like mad on here but without some basic quality in their product people wouldn't buy it.

....but a series of good photographs doesn't of neccessity mean that this person 'is really a good photographer'...........how adaptable, flexible, knowledgeable are they........what is their aesthetic sense and technical expertise....what are their instincts like.....how well do they communicate a moment , a story, meaning, something essential about people, place and life.......what do they do with their work beyond TE......how do they communicate with the environments and people they engage with....how do they plan, respond, initiate.......how open are they to learning?

I really don't want to bring myself to name anyone at the risk of leaving out scores of people who I respect for the work .......the graft they put in and the results which are obvious here......I have my favourites....some are very consistent in their editing of their work for TE - others are more open to experiment with what they put up and share their work less as a gallery and more as a sketchbook.......some work looks excellent here on line but the reality in print is not always so brilliant - images stick out from so many people - whole bodies of work stick out for others - they are all 'good' photographers in my book.

What we don't see here is the work people are producing for other contexts - I have seen quite a lot of work produced in print now of TE members and I have seen professional work printed in high qulaity and larger format contexts which would leave you speechless when comparing them to their respresentation in this media.

The artist photographers here - the obsessives who take a subject and work at it for months or years are a certain type of good photographer,,,,the documentary and community recorders are another.....those who persevere with technicalities of perfecting landscapes or catching the candid moment - all approaches throw up who might really be a good photographer......do we have influential photographers...Kaj's reframing of the question.........I'm certainly influenced by someone everytime I visit.......do we have any really great photographers here.......there are people here who have made a lifetime of effort ...when their day is done and the dust has settled ...maybe that's the time to decide ....meanwhile we learn so much from each other.............
Old 10-10-2007, 04:34 AM
TE Junior Member

I am....

:o)
Old 10-10-2007, 06:17 AM
TE Expert

Oh my dear God... Who will be next?!

;-)

Dennis
Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Who will be next ...

You, Dennis ... seriously!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 AM
TE Expert

Well there's this quiet, unassuming guy called Narayan who is going to be a fine photojournalist. He has grown exponentioally over the last year and a bit. Watch out for him...

And then there's Simon Kolton, of course, who really, really knows how to handle a lens and put his subjects in a light that I can only describe as "heroic" - super guy, not her anymore though but...we remember him.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
TE Junior Member

Well hey...78 replies and, although I didn't look through all of them...someone had to do it.

Haaaaa