Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 AM
TE Expert

Default Urgent!! My photos are gone from my card

Hello:
I am curretnly ın Turkey. Last nıght I uploaded one pıcture dırectly from my CF card ınto the hotel computer ın order to upload ıt ın TE. Thıs mornıng I was checkıng my photos ın my camera and ıt saıd: no photos on the screen.

I took one photo and ıt showed as the only photo on the card. I then went back to the hotel's computer and connected my card through a card reader to the computer and there are three folders: One empty one, one wıth the photos that were mıssıng and one wıth the one photo I took thıs mornıng. I am ın the process of recordıng the photos on a DVD so far so good.

Does anyone know what happened? Is ıt a settıng on my caşera whıch only allows me to read one folder? Is ıt that my card ıs bad?

I am thınkıng of leavıng that card alone and usıng other cards from now on. What do you thınk?

Thanks for any advıse you can gıve me.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Urgent!! My photos are gone from my card

Your camera is able to display one directory at a time. But you should be able to choose which one to use in the camera settings menu.
However, if you feel that the card has became dodgy and if you have successfully backup and saved your photos on a DVD (making two other copies of that DVD that you'll keep in differents place is also a good thing), I'll suggest that you format the card.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi rbcy1974

You do not specify what of your cameras you´re using at that time, but I think anyone of then can record in more than one directory, some has the ability of record each time you pull off the CF, then incert it again records in other directory by settings ajustment...
take a look..
I also think that if you can read the images in the directorys, there´s no problem with thecard... but as green I recomend you, just for precaution after you transport the images try to format it!

it´s a terror moment; isn´t it? :)

regards;

Taba
Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 PM
TE Newbie

You have been given great information thus far, I hope you were able to save and restore everything. one small added note CF does a "soft reformat" each time it is remove from the camera when it remains in the camera it will save roughly 80 images to each file, this helps to keep it operating at optimum speeds, rather than trying to filter through too many files before it can save a new image.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
TE Newbie

I had a CF card crash last week. Missing 60 or photos. Used Rescue Pro software that i got with some Sandisk Extreme 3 Cards i got recently. It recoverd them. Believe it can be found through Sandisk site.

Have no idea how much it costs but was real glad it worked for me.