To macjake: touristy - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2020-01-16 12:40

Hi Gert
so many things to say....first off, I looked at CHRISLO's photo posted back in 2014 and I think I can see the same minaret, his photo is on the first page, and recent. just click on the city name to bring up the photos. Also...i know i've most likely viewed many shots from Antalya over the years on TE, but you say its the 16th most visited city in the world??????? I don't even know the city by name, and i wonder how many other do. I'd be like....ANTALYA? where's that? it doesn't ring a bell for me at all. I guess the name doesn't carry the same cache as other cities around the world - or possibly bc i'm living in North America. and it makes me think about Istanbul bc you said THIS city was touristy...I didn't find Istanbul too touristy, i found it to have a lot of its traditions still intact. As for Dubrovnik for example, it was like visiting DisneyLand!!!! Way too touristy (although I still enjoyed it for a few days bc of the castles and medieval history). anyways, it was fun investigating this shot through the TE gallery and seeing it on Chrislo's page for comparison :) cheers
Craig

Old 01-16-2020, 08:52 PM
TE Expert

Default To macjake: touristy

Thanks Craig,
Yes, I was surprised too that this is near the top of the world's tourism. I thought perhaps the numbers referred to arrivals at the airport, but those figures are much higher. I guess it may be the number of guests at the city's hotels for at least one night, then most of them probably leave for any of the dozens of resorts in the vicinities. This area receives a huge number of package tours from all over Europe.

But of course X million tourists a year in a place like Antalya make a much bigger impact than in much larger Istanbul where they're swallowed by ordinary traditional life.

Cheers,

Gert

PS The beta site seems to have closed down. If it is done permanently we will have to learn how to make new links to the larger and sharper versions of our photos. (Of course, mine are never really sharp. )