TE polution - Page 5 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: TE polution

Hey, I think what is TE if not a photoalbum for our holiday pics? granted the holiday pics I refer to should be trael pics that teach us something, but looking through your photo album Frank, I woudl say all your non-Netherlands shots are "holiday" snaps!

Now I know the kind of photos you mean and agree that some of them do not really belong on this site, and as a result are clogging the site up, but as long as we all do our bit to let the photographer know, in the long run I think it will make a difference. Also with the poorer photos, I try and comment on a few photos when I see them that coudl be better, I have a rule though I only comment if I can see ways to improve the shot, if I cant add anything constructive i will generally not bother.

I think theer are some good ideas in this thread but Franks "rules" are a good starting point and hopefully, we can improve the skills of a lot of photographers who would not usually get recognition because of their lack of contribution to the community etc, if they dont know they are supposed to leave critiques for others in order to get their photos viewed how are they going to know unless someone tells them?

I woudl like to thank all the people who commented on my early work and helped me become a better photographer.

I am now going to have a bit of a clean up of my gallery, get rid of the poor "holiday" shots with no or few points!

Mark
Old 09-14-2005, 09:02 PM
TE Expert

Given no one works on assignment, at the best on self-assignment while on holiday (save shooting at home), it would be very difficult and unfair to scold people who do not have quite the craft to bring out every shot like a "Look Ma, vacation but not vacation shot!" one. We'd end up with 5 or 6 photographers only qualified to post on TE shots of foreign locales. IMO
Old 09-14-2005, 09:49 PM
TE Newbie

I guess even if people send "holiday pictures" on TE, there is no problem, the quota system (1 upload per day) force people to think twice before uploading here. The terms of service are also clear about duplicates or other not obviously fitting TE aim photos.
If we compare with Flickr service, the free version lets people upload 20MB of pics per month, no matter the content, you can upload 20 times the same pic.... And some people upload their all holiday album with no pre sorting, no selection.
I know when at look at TE I'll see pictures of usually good quality if not excellent. On the other hand, excellent pics can be hard to be found on Flickr.
On pictures that are not fitting TE objectives, maybe it could be interresting to have a sort of pool where people can report suspicious photos, and then a sort of timer (like 24 or 48 hours) could be set up and members would vote (points or date of subscription could give stronger weight to voter) if the picture should be kept or not ?

Best Regards.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 AM
TE Senior Member

.... reading through the previous posts in the discussion, 'holiday pictures' means amateur?
When I look through the galleries, at least half the photographs were taken by a photographer on a holiday trip. I see some absolutely wonderful 'holiday pics'.
I can guess what it means thought.....but maybe it should be defined a bit more accurate.
I don't think the location has anything to do with the quality...
----How about withdrawing or rejecting a pic if it doesn't get xxx points within a certain time?
---- 2 or 3 members could vote it out, sort of giveit merit points---
----- there could be any number of ways to do this.
on the other hand, a beginner (I am one too) can really learn and do better if guided by more experienced members. A potential artist might get rejected... I am dreaming here!
Marialuisa
Old 09-16-2005, 12:10 PM
TE Expert

I like Mariluisa's idea.
I think pictures which get points have succeded in attracting attetnion for one reason or the other, so I think that it would be a good idea to give people the some reject points to photos which have 0 comments after 48 hours, and that these reject points should come with an explanation as to why. After a week or so the shots with x reject points could be taken out ore ven put on an other database if no one made a positive comment on them. Something to think about...
Old 09-16-2005, 01:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi
I am a very new member at this site and i just started with photography. The basic problem is the fact that anyone who owns a digital camera thinks that he can be a photographer (i might be at this category, and that i will soon find out). All you have to do(meaning experieced photographers and quality critics) is not critisizing at all, or even better not even seeing photos that don't worth photography interest. Sooner or later anyone who uploads "Holiday pictures" will be discouraged.
I know that this is not a very effective solution but practically thinking i doubt that there is any other way stoping this pollution without making dramatic changes to the whole site.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:02 PM
TE Junior Member

I think the idea of negative points is a bad one, yes someone may have the photographers best interests at heart i.e. helping them improve photos, but giving someone negative points will never encourage them. The same with having a voting out system on photos with no points.

in the past few days I have made a real effort to critique some photos I woudl never usually have done, from photos I feel dont belong on TE, to new members photos which havent been critiqued on because no one will give them a chance.

I use the Welcome gallery to seek out new members who have yet to score points, and I hope in this way I can not only help some people create better photos, like people did with me when I was new, but build some bridges too! I think the sense of community on this site is very good and its great to see new members posts improve in quality as time goes by.

I urge you to visit the welcome gallery and do the same :

http://www.trekearth.com/photos.php?filter=welcome
Old 09-16-2005, 07:24 PM
TE Senior Member

I think Mark's suggestion of visiting the Welcome gallery is an excellent one.
All the other suggestions (negative points, ignoring etc.) have been mentioned several times in this discussion and just started another debate.
I am off to check uout the Welcome gallery, thanks Mark
Marialuisa
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello, I am sorry but I am not very agree with you. Many of us, really enjoy taking photos on their holidays or cannot take photo other time, so I think it is normal to see holidays picture. And some of us maybe, have not so good photograph material than other but enjoy photo too. I only have a small camera, and not too good, but I have good time making photo and participate in TE. Do you think TE shall be reserve to only good photographs ??? it will be a shame... I think we must let people express them self through the photo. good or not do good. Byebye
Old 09-16-2005, 10:26 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for posting this, MA, I looked at your gallery for the first time, and you and your "small camera" do excellent work.
H