Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great holmertz 2016-08-17 2:25

Hello John,
What a nice photo of two hard working photographers trying hard to find the best angle, while you were probably sitting in a comfortable chair having the best, elevated view of all. It's a wonderful view of the rather steep hills across the water, the stream running among the brown rocks into the lake, and with the fence and small trees adding details to the foreground.
I saw this photo a while ago, just after you had posted it, and there was no note. Do you deliberately add the note separately to avoid losing it, or do you still have this problem that it disappears?
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 08-17-2016, 10:48 AM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Vanishing notes and "Invalid query"..Grrrrr.

Hello Gert,

Thank you again for your kind words!

Firstly, you may well recognise my two "young" photographers but, to keep the moderators happy, I thought it best that they remain incognito.

Secondly, yes, of course, my note did indeed vanish off to somewhere beyond Andromeda, only to be replaced by that irritating "Invalid query" message. But the TE website didn't reckon on my devious tactics - I had already copied my entire note - so, when that message came up, I retaliated by editing the post and pasting the note back into the empty box.

So, yes, what I do before finally clicking on the "Update" button is to copy the entire note. Sometimes it's unnecessary because the post uploads correctly but I find that, in probably almost 50% of times, the picture appears and the note vanishes. Jolly frustrating - and no wonder so many have decided that they've "had enough" and decided to abandon TE. Such a shame. But we stalwarts will fight on!

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:57 AM
TE Expert

So it seems the problem of vanishing notes only hits some members, and even then just off and on. It happened to me once but that was quite long ago, so I no longer bother with making copies of my notes. On the other hand I can't enter the map coordinates four times out of five, but you and others never seem to have that problem. The TE bugs are mysterious, and of course nothing will ever be done to them.
(Yes, of course I recognized the hard working photographers, but I won't tell anyone.)
Best wishes,
Gert
Old 08-17-2016, 11:52 AM
TE Expert

Default Do you use "new" TE or "beta" TE?

Hello again Gert,

That's interesting. You see, I use "new" TE for uploading photographs and for generally browsing the site and really only use "beta" for viewing photographs at their full or "proper" size.

For me, at least, I cannot see maps on "beta" nor can I see forum messages there. For instance, if I look at this picture of mine on "beta", I can see that you have written a forum message but when I click on the link to it nothing comes up - just a blank page or a message saying "This page cannot be displayed".

I'm using a PC with Windows 10 and I use Microsoft Edge as my browser most of the time. I sometimes use Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox but I've not tried Chrome.

Different people seem to be having different problems with TE but I suspect everybody is having some problems - it's just that they might be different - and the particular problems might well be dependent upon which operating system and which browser each person is using.

I remember that Brian Denton (timecapturer) was unable to view any forum messages because his anti-virus program blocked them as it was suspicious of viruses (I find the same thing if I try to look at forum messages on my android tablet) - and, of course, Brian is yet another member who has fallen by the wayside.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:35 PM
TE Expert

Smile

Hello John and Gert,

Like John I use main page for uploading and look at the picture on beta site, to see them bigger. But the list of problems with beta that I have is quite long. Quite often there is no note, so I must add it in edit . But not always. Usually I save, but sometimes I forget and then.... wrrrr. Also I can't read replies or Forum, I must change to www. I can't change anything in my profiles on both sites for a long time. And I do not see the map as well. And I do not suppose that it will be fixed.

I am sure that the mod doesn't recognize who the photographers are , so it is OK .

Warm regrads MAlgo
Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post

I am sure that the mod doesn't recognize who the photographers are , so it is OK .

Warm regrads MAlgo
We're watching Maybe I should check each profile to see if I can match the people in the photo to profile images.

Hopefully you realise I'm kidding. I don't see that the image in question would be problematic even if the 'togs had been named. The rule is to prevent photo's where friends or family are the main subject being posted, not where they are incidental to the main subject as in this one.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:32 AM
TE Expert

Hello Keith,

We were all joking because moderator, Viviane, was with them on this meeting .
Warm regrads
Emka