Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great emka 2016-08-07 22:40

Hello John,

After this first memorable (or me)meeting, you in UK meet quite often., and specially last time - Craig and Tosca, Lisa, Serghei, now Vivianne. You know how I would be delighted to be there with all of you too. Maybe I could join somewhen in future too. And again in Cumbria. Did you stay in the same place in Keswick? Marvelous view and memories.

WArm regrad s MAlgo

Old 08-08-2016, 07:36 AM
TE Expert

Default To emka: TE meeting......

Dear Malgo,

Thank you again for your kind words!

No, we don't really seem to have all that many meetings here in U.K. - now it is usually just very short "impromptu" meetings rather than "proper" organised ones that last a few days.

Viviane and her husband, Chris, have been touring Britain for a few weeks with their car and caravan and Viviane wanted to try to meet some TE people and so she organised to stay in Cumbria for a while. They stayed on a caravan site/campsite near Keswick. Bev and Len have a motorhome and Mike has a caravan too and he brought Will with him for the weekend. Mariusz and I only travelled to Keswick for the one day and I think it was only about two hours' drive for each of us.

As you will see from Mariusz's photo, we did almost the same journey as we did in Richard's car - up to Ashness Bridge, then Surprise View, then Watendlath. I think that people who stayed longer (everyone apart from Mariusz and I) also visited Castlerigg standing stones and some other places.

I had never met Viviane or Chris before but they are lovely people and great fun. I expected Viviane (because she is a moderator) to be like a very strict and serious school mistress - but she certainly isn't!

Yes, it would be wonderful to meet up with you again, Malgo. And I can tell you that your name was mentioned many, many times during our little meeting on Saturday! But only nice things were said about you!!!

Kindest Regards,

John.

xx
Old 08-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
I expected Viviane (because she is a moderator) to be like a very strict and serious school mistress - but she certainly isn't!
You should try being one of the other moderators. She controls us with an iron fist - just kidding
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM
TE Expert

Default I must be more careful......

Hello Keith,

Gosh, these moderators certainly take their task seriously - I can see that I'm going to have to be much more careful when posting remarks here!

It would, of course, be nice if the technical boffins were as vigilant and could try to iron out some of the irritating technical issues which both this and the "beta" site have - but Viviane told me that, purely as moderators, you only have control of the content of the site(s) and not of how the mechanics of the site(s) actually work. It saddens me to see so many good members either leaving or becoming far less active than they were when I joined almost ten years ago.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 AM

At the end of the day the mods are simply members of the site like everybody else, but have agreed to keep an eye on content to ensure that it complies with the dreaded TOS
As I'm sure Viviane will have said, we are just as frustrated as everybody else with the time it takes to get any problem resolved.
I've been a member since 2003 so can certainly agree with the comments about the level of activity on the site. When I started posting images, I received so much helpful feedback, but a lot of that aspect seems to have been lost over the years. I realise there are so many other places for people to post images now, but I honestly don't know of any other site where critiquing is intended to be such an important element.
Behind the scenes there have been many discussions about what could be done to encourage membership but it's a tough battle.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:42 AM
TE Expert

Default I couldn't agree more....

Yes, Keith, I couldn't agree more. I have visited many photographic sites and have yet to come across one which promotes such good and valuable critiques (though they might be less good than they were a few years ago) and such interesting and informative notes. I have certainly learned a bit about photography but also an enormous amount about our World in the last ten years from TE.

And that is not to mention the way in which TE somehow manages to promote a wonderful camaraderie - I have made so many "cyber" friends but also a large number of "real" friends whom I have met solely as a result of being a member of this wonderful site. I, for one, should be very sad indeed if TE were ever to come to a grinding halt and I shall do my best to support it through all its weaknesses, quirks and foibles. And I shall continue to boast that for the last ten years I have managed to keep on the right side of the moderators and so far never had a photo deleted - though I might rue that boast one day!

Kind Regards,

John.