Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM
TE Expert

It took me too much time to write, you found an answer faster. And I suppose that this one moderator that wanted to be incognito was fanni. Am I right?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:57 AM

Hi Malgo, answer coming soon, thank you!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 AM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post
It took me too much time to write, you found an answer faster. And I suppose that this one moderator that wanted to be incognito was fanni. Am I right?
Hi Malgo,

I may seem "incognito" but I do have eyes and ears and even sometimes read the forum discussions
Since you are talking about me, I decided to add a couple of phrases in this discussion.

Answering your question about "keeping incognito", now I really do not remember (several years have passed since the moment I joined the Mod team) whether I really wanted to remain "incognito" or did not really care about it (because, as you see, it is very easy to find the "forum leaders" list)
And if TE members aren't too lazy to find out "who is who" they surely can find it in no time

As far as the problem of "TE as it is in its current state" is concerned, I see different reasons why TE has become what it has become but it's not what I want to discuss because it's useless, taking into account the current state of things and the current owner's current attitude.

Concerning the eternally chewed "best members' exodus from TE because of the Mods' bad policy", I could say a lot but I will speak only for myself.

1. I am a TE member who posted photos.
But I stopped posting photos a year ago (and before taking that decision I had posted very few photos once in a while during a year).

2. I am one of those "terrible" Mods..

following certain members' strange logic,

the conclusion should be the following:
I myself, being a Mod, chase my own self away as a TE member, from TrekEarth because I, as a TE member, was in a conflict with myself as a Mod? LOL

how does it sound? intriguing?..

My advice: do not judge anything and anyone hastily.

I stopped posting photos on TE for a very simple and trivial reason:

TrekEarth - in its present form and state - became absolutely boring for me, I grew out of TE a long time ago.
Posting photos on TE became uninteresting and a waste of my precious time. I saw a deadlock. So I just quit.

I remained a Mod but this is quite a different 'job'.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Downhill...

I do drop by TrekEarth maybe 4-5 times a year since I stopped participating, frankly I don't quite know why... This discussion reminded me of a similar argument a few years ago.

And the last years the TE traffic is slowing down no doubt, I don't have data but Malgorzata showed a trend that probably is intensified by now.

None of my business really, but there is no idea asking the still active members why so many left! You have to consult some who actually dropped out and ask them why, then some meaningful information may turn up.

That said, photo sites designed similar to TrekEarth are dying all over the internet these days, people seems to prefer faster access (by phone) and they are not emphasising photo quality just news value. Bigger companies than yours misjudged the impact of smart phones, Nokia to mention one.

(Wow! My login works! Haven't tried that for years)
Old 07-11-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablominto View Post
That said, photo sites designed similar to TrekEarth are dying all over the internet these days, people seems to prefer faster access (by phone) and they are not emphasising photo quality just news value. Bigger companies than yours misjudged the impact of smart phones, Nokia to mention one.
This is correct.

This thread, like so many before it, keeps gravitating towards blaming the strict TOS and the implementation by the Moderators. Criticisms of the static nature of the site design may be fair enough, and I would myself criticise the implementation of large files - they slow down noticeably the loading of images which are still constrained to 800 pixels on the screen; that must put people off for a start.

But most of the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth seems to be taking place in a vacuum. It's as if Facebook, Twitter, easily set up photo blogs and personal websites, plus smartphone cameras, had never come into existence.

Malgo, compare your numbers with this:
Some years ago disgruntled members of TE left to set up a very similar site where there would be no point-scoring - Photofolia.net
Over the years, the site has managed to accumulate 575 members, many of whom have never uploaded a photo. On the 9/07/2015, 6 photos were uploaded, and on the 10/07/2015 only 4 were uploaded. A quick glance at the first few pages of the gallery shows there are only around 10 active members.

Many photo sites have closed down, even Fotopedia. And this is happening despite the world being awash with photographic images. Even if TE scrapped its purpose and its TOS, and allowed selfies and shots of restaurant meals, it would not be able to compete with the existing 'social media' sites (including Flickr), and our site would be full of rubbish.

The only things I can think of to resuscitate TE are
1. Re-design the dated site; even its appearance is dated and lack-lustre
2. Scrap large images to increase loading speed. Many very large images are poor quality anyway, and the permitted resolution is wasted on them.
3. Increase the daily upload limit to 3 photos
4. Carefully re-draft and simplify the TOS without sacrificing quality, integrity and originality
5. Combine TE, TL and TN into one site and change the name

It might work; who knows? But I'm not full of optimism.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:19 AM
TE Expert

Hi,

I always promise to myself not to take part in discussions on the Forum but then I am tempted in one moment and I regret it later. The reason this time is that I have been preparing lately the book about time series analysis. After seeing many graphs of US airpassengers, US Global Brutto Product, exchange rates of Eur versus US dollar, Population in somewhere and so on, and so on,I tried to apply it to something that is familoiar to me the numbers about TrekEarth. It is ideal source of data for such an analysis as we have a long series of daily data, that can be aggregated in moths and years.I wouldlike to make an advanced research using R environment, that is widely used in the world for statistics, and I will do it later; in the moment I just took the years. But such analysis is done to make predictions. So this time I am concerned with the future more than the past. And this future is not pleasant.

I know that most such sites are in troubles. I liked Fotopedia but it doesn't exist any more, Photofolia had problems, the same New Photoland. Maybe the lack of time is the reason. There is much efort to post a photo on TE, with critiques , note and no effort at all on Facebook.
As to the big format, I am glad to post photos with 1600 pixels but it doeasnt make any sense to post bigger ones as we do not see he composition of the whole on screen, we can't read the note and see the photo in the same time and the quality is very often quite bad. I am still using beta.
Main thing now is : can we stop the process?
I am sorry to make this again and again.

Last edited by emka; 07-11-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post
As to the big format, I am glad to post photos with 1600 pixels but it doeasnt make any sense to post bigger ones as we do not see he composition of the whole on screen, we can't read the note and see the photo in the same time and the quality is very often quite bad. I am still using beta.
Malgo, you are correct. Your photos of 1600 pixels are dwarfed by those which are over 3000 pixels and 5mb in size. If you use the old beta site, at least after waiting for the photo to load you will see the full size image, or part of it. Not that it is worth waiting for in many cases. There is absolutely no point in uploading anything larger than 1200 x 800 pixels, which still looks sharp in a 350kb file. At least such a photo can be viewed 100% on a 24" screen, although not on a laptop. People who have smaller screens - laptop or tablet - should not have to wait while a large file loads which can only be viewed 100% on the new site, and only if the pixel dimensions I have given above are applied by the uploader.

But this is just one of the things which is probably turning people off TE. This is the age of mass distraction and gratification, and the gratification must be instant. As you say, uploading to FB takes no time at all. People don't care if the photos are rubbish, they just don't care.

If money and professional expertise is not put into TE, it will wither away.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:12 PM
TE Expert

Glad to see contributions here that show the wider perspective and go beyond the usual 'let's blame the mods' scenario.

The difficulties of TE (and similar sites) are a sign of the times. Even though an occasional decision by this or that moderator might have been debatable, the role of the moderators has always been a positive one. Without safeguarding the TOS, the site would have been flooded with flowers, plates and selfies a long time ago already and would probably have been dead a long time ago already! I think they deserve some thanks!

But where do we go next? Certainly, the chance for TE to survive is by NOT trying to compete with social media, BUT by sticking to its original aim: providing a platform for people who like travelling and photography to show pictures to each other and maybe learn a thing or two along the way, either about the world or about photography, or about both. For me, that's all this site is about.

All pictures that fall within the TOS are welcome. Even though I agree that the overall quality has gone down over the years, there are still (just) enough active members here to make it worthwhile for me to keep participating.

I understand that people get bored of it and drop out, I've done that too, there's no problem in that, as long as upon returning you still find enough 'quality members' around. Sorry, if that sounds a bit elitist...

Finally, here are my ideas about Macondo's five proposals to resuscitate TE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macondo View Post
1. Re-design the dated site; even its appearance is dated and lack-lustre
2. Scrap large images to increase loading speed. Many very large images are poor quality anyway, and the permitted resolution is wasted on them.
3. Increase the daily upload limit to 3 photos
4. Carefully re-draft and simplify the TOS without sacrificing quality, integrity and originality
5. Combine TE, TL and TN into one site and change the name
1. Yes, but just don't make it too flashy.
2. Fully agree. The picture should fit on the screen, that's all. If a picture isn't any good at 800, it's not going to suddenly become a masterpiece at a higher resolution. And if it is a masterpiece, uploading it at ultrahigh resolutions would probably result in better quality thefts, that's all.
3. This wouldn't be necessary for me. Not sure whether this would attract more members. But it might be worth a try?
4. Yes. Less is more.
5. I've never used TN or TL, for me travelling is an essential part here, but it could be a good idea to attract some more creative photography.

Greetings.

Benny
Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM

PLEASE BE AWARE:

I have reactivated THREE comments in this thread because they had been removed by the starter of the discussion.

After a thread has been opened, the one who opened it MAY NOT edit in another way or delete his comments. Only minor changes like spelling are allowed, thank you for your attention.

Viviane
Old 07-13-2015, 11:25 AM

Just to express my thoughts:

I think Andrew and Benny's suggestion are very interesting and must be considered by IB admins. I will attend them about this discussion, thank you all a lot for your time!

Amicalement - Viviane
Closed Thread