Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM
TE Expert

Default TE photobook: the return

Hello:
A few years ago, there was a project going on in order to publish a photobook with photos from trekearth members. Due to logistical issues and other issues,(I wasn't involved directly on the project I think that Jack can give more information about the project)the book project was declared clinically dead.

Now its 2008 and there are some wonderful book publishing tools available online such as Blurb.
I think that the original project is dead as many of the original photographers are no longer in trekearth or maybe there are other photos which people may preffer to get published.

So my proposal is to relaunch a Trekearth book using blurb (thus symplifying the work needed to make the book and to distribute it).

Would anyone be interested in participating in such project?

Waiting for your replies.

Daniel
Old 06-17-2008, 04:05 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: TE photobook: the return

I would be glad to help, but I will be travelling starting next Thursday until the end of July. It would certainly be interesting to have a book published.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
TE Senior Member

sounds interesting, daniel - what do you have in mind?

dora
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
TE Expert

When the project was launched initially, some themes where created where TE members could put in a certain number of photos that could be considered for the book. There were some minimum requirements regarding the photos that could be included such as that they had to be a favorite or minimum number of comments.

So, I guess that first we need to see if there is a general interest of a minimum number of members for this project (which so far is not there based on the response to my post)

Based on the number of interested members we should plan the number of pages and or photos that the book will have (or a range thereof).

Then we should identify the photos to be used via themes and maybe voting.

We could ask members to propose cover designs as was done earlier.

Based on the number of members/photos, we could have an initial idea of the cost by going through blurb.

The final design should e done quite quickly in order not to loose momentum. I could contact blurb to see if it is possible to create a joint account in which several people can work on the drafts together. Finally we could get an initial commitment from each participating member as to how many books we would each get. Based on that we could negociate a volume discount with blurb.

Its just an idea. I would be willing to work on the draft of the book and some of the organization. I just think we need to accelerate the process in order not to lose momentum. Using a site like blurb (or a better one if anyone suggests) should make it easier from a logistics, ordering, pricing perspective.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM
TE Junior Member

Good idea. I would be happy to contribute some of my photos to the book.

Linas
Old 06-17-2008, 05:33 PM
TE Senior Member

well .. let's give them at least 24 hours ;o) and see what happens

i'm in - i downloaded the software and i believe i could work on the draft aswell, maybe some organizational stuff, too.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 PM
TE Expert

I might be pessimist, but no one knows for sure if this site might closed tomorrow morning.

Therefore, a book would be a great souvenir of all these members we became to know over the course of the years.

As a graphic designer ( of international reputation... :-P), I would be ready to work on a high quality cover design. Somethings that would look prestigious and that would reflect who we are. But still, I know that consensus is hard to achieve here - which is normal... So before working on any draught, I would need to receive a final brief, something that the vast majority would agree upon.

I don't know if the use of a single photo or a couple of them would be wise, as it would favours one photographer, so maybe a graphic approach would be wiser.

But I will go in the direction of what the majority will want, as long as I receive a final and clear briefing.

Concerning the interior, maybe a basic grid provided by the printer would be the easiest approach, and then the members could adapt it to their photo orientation. I have no clue whatsoever about the previous project - I wasn't a member way back then - but maybe a double-page spread would be the best option, so every one could decide if they want one single "landscape format" shot, or a photomontage of 2 or 3 shots. Otherwise, if any photo should appears next to anyone else, then it might not be visually optimized.

Or there could be 2 different books, one for the portraits and one for the landscapes and architecture. This way, we could adapt the format accordingly and would have a stronger theme for each one and everyone could collaborate in function of their photographic interest, in one or both.

It's so easy to publish a book now, so this option is not a big preoccupation anymore.

I also suggest an introduction page, where the story of TrekEarth could be briefly described and where the photos of collaborators could appear as well, in order to remember everyones who would participate.

Okay, these were my suggestions, you do what you have to do...

André
Old 06-17-2008, 07:07 PM
TE Expert

For those interested, here's a link to the intial TE Book project blog.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
TE Expert

I think it is a good idea, but it needs to be kept very simple and strict deadlines should be adhered to. If someone doesn't get their promised photos in on time then "Tough!" I think there's no reason for a separate book for portraits as long as the TE criteria is met along with some kind of quality control like all photos have to be favourites. I like Andre's idea of a double spread per contributor. I have used Blurb and they have a lot of different layouts you can use. I know they have the option for multi contributor books but am not sure how it works. I would say let each contributor do their own layout if that is possible. Keep me posted.
Kath
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 PM
TE Expert

Here is the link to the theme on TL where the candidate covers where put in.
There were some good ideas:
http://www.treklens.com/themes.php?thid=729
Regards
Daniel