Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:50 AM
TE Expert

Default Traffic

I have to agree with macondo. Often when using beta TE, I have to open a large file image in another window to see the full image quickly and be able to critique it. It's impossible to critique 1/4 of an image. A couple of other points:

* frequent technical problems and the slowness in response to get them fixed. This doesn't encourage either new, or older members.

* regular changes to t.o.s. and subjective, rather than objective interpretations.
* I could be wrong, but Viviane seems to do the lion's share of the moderating. Maybe a more even workload is called for?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:09 AM
TE Senior Member

Default clickerty click

Another thought regarding how to ensure TE lives on - turn off your adblockers and click lots of the ads. That way IB will continue to get revenue from the site. Otherwise...
Old 07-19-2015, 12:57 PM

Just back from a couple of weeks in Portugal to see what is basically an old concern being discussed again. I have no problem with it being raised again and it is good to see quite a bit of general agreement around some of the issues and possible ways to address them.
I do believe that a change in the allowable image size was way overdue, but as with many other changes, they were brought in with little consideration for their effect. I certainly don't recall anybody amongst the Mods advocating or requesting the massive file and image sizes currently permitted. This was done by the owners / administrators of the site.
The site could certainly do with a facelift but, if it happens, please, please don't just add every possible gizmo and flashy effect just because they are available.
I would also like to see the 3 sites re-combined, but as Macondo has said, images would still need to comply with the basic ethos of TE. No selfies, or family shots!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:35 AM
TE Expert

Post The Age Old Question - Or the Old Age Question?

Dear All

At the risk of repeating what has, very articulately already been said, here I go.

My view is that the exodus of members has little to do with the moderators and the TOS. I think they are very conveniently and unfairly blamed for the problems this site is and has been having for some time.

Andrew (Macondo) puts the problem very logically and succinctly.

Part of the reason is the "I want it right now and I don't want to put any work into it" nature of society at the moment. People don't want to spend an hour critiquing 20 photos or writing a meaningful note, they just want the appearance of having done so. Add to that everyone's time constraints and there we have it. Click "Like" and move on.

As he says, however, there are other, more aesthetic reasons why TE is dying.

To me, Trekearth is not visually attractive and has not kept pace with technological changes. As a result, we have a very daggy, unappealing site with major technical glitches. It has become abundantly clear to me that the owners of this site care only about clicks - not about us. They are too stingy with money and too apathetic to change what is required.

So I join with Macondo and others and ask the owners to take notice. These are my suggestions:

1. Give the website a face-lift. It's beige - both literally and figuratively and needs to change.

2. Change the resolution back to 800 or 1200. I'm still not happy about my images being stolen. The larger size assists with this theft. My belief is the increase in size was a deliberate ploy by the owners.

3. Allow images to be uploaded from a smartphone or tablet.

4. Simplify the TOS

5. Actually respond - and respond quickly - to users' concerns and technical problems.

Unfortunately, this costs money, and these corporate owners don't want to know. So I despair for the future of this site.

All the best
Lisa
Old 09-18-2015, 11:09 AM
TE Senior Member

Unhappy Warning

Everyone warned them about the problems but they were always reluctant, mad about the complaints, saying that we were all wrong and they were right! New members would replace the leaving ones and so forth!

Tout le monde les a mis en garde sur les problèmes, mais ils étaient toujours réticents, fou sur les plaintes, disons que nous sommes tous trompés et ils avaient raison!
Les nouveaux membres remplaceront ceux qui quittent et ainsi de suite!
Closed Thread