Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 02-19-2004, 06:48 AM
TE Junior Member

Default "not useful" critiques

Is there anyway to see which critiques I may have given that were rated as "not useful?" It seems to me that I would benefit myself from knowing what I said that wasn't useful, and I can learn from that too. Not that this is necessary, just was wondering.

I really like reading other's critiques of others, and sure there are a lot that are "not useful" - but I was thinking if someone went out of there way to rate it that way, it must be serious.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 AM
TE Senior Member

Default "not useful" is not useful...

There's no way to see why you've gotten a NU. It's probably better that way, cuts way down on fights.

My major guesses why people get NUs.

1) You were somewhat critical to "someone who's perfect". Too bad for them. Thin skinned people shouldn't post on a site that is designed for critiques.

2) You posted in a language that someone couldn't read. Too bad for them again. Either Babel Fish it or ignore it.

3) You posted an 'low meaning' critique. I've got to admit that I'm sometimes tempted to give a NU to a piece of fluff comment. (So far I've controlled myself ;o)

4) You encountered a jerk. Stuff happens. ;o)

----

On a more serious note, I think it's time to change that system. How about a rating system that gave some feedback to the critiquer?

Maybe...

O Good comments, helpful ideas
O Redundant - it's already been said
O No useful content

Then make it possible to see the totals.

(This is the alpha version of the idea....)
Old 02-19-2004, 08:37 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: "not useful" is not useful...

Once I get a chance I'm going to get rid of NUs. Actually, I'm going to leave them in, but instead of it being publicly displayed, I'm going to use it to check for rude critiques which may need to be removed.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:09 AM
TE Senior Member

When you do, how about changing it from NU to something such as "Inappropriate"? Something more descriptive?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:55 PM
TE Expert

"O Redundant - it's already been said"

I do not agree with that one. As it was mention in other threads in this forum (I know Adam did), members should be encourage to give their own opinion about a picture even though what they're saying has alredy been said and as long they're using their own words to express it.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:31 AM
TE Junior Member

Bob, thanks for your thoughtful feedback on this. I agree with you on why most people might rate a critique NU. I also agree that perhaps a more descriptive phrase, such as "offensive" or even "this is fluff - I wanted substance" ;o), might be useful to both the critiquer and the administrator (Adam).