Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2018-11-09 6:18

Hello dear Viviane,

I well remember Gruinard Bay on the first tour I did of the north part of Scotland way back in 1966 when I was just 18. Borrowing a friend's father's car, my friend and I travelled by here and we also drove the Bealach na Ba to Applecross. Quite scary driving too considering that we were both very inexperienced drivers at that time.

I remember this bay in particular because there's a little island, Gruinard Island, within it. And there's an interesting story about that little island too.

You can actually read about Gruinard Island here on Wikipedia but, basically, the island was used in 1942 during WWII as a place for experiments to be carried out into biological weapons and the island, as a result of that, became contaminated with anthrax. Interestingly, the research was done by the laboratories based at Porton Down, the same laboratories which investigated the Novichok poisoning of Mr. Skripal and his daughter in Salisbury earlier this year. However, the island has now been decontaminated but, when we visited this area more than fifty years ago there were big warning signs along the edge of the bay warning people not to go to the island - I daresay some people might otherwise have taken a boat to explore it.

Anyway, I thought that might just interest you, but this is an absolutely gorgeous photograph, well composed and showing off the area extremely well. But the real "star of the show" in this photograph is the amazing light which brings out the contours of the hills and illuminates the water in the bay so divinely. The colours are beautiful, your exposure perfect and the details and sharpness are exquisite. And what a sky!

Beautiful!

Kindest Regards,

John.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 PM

Smile To tyro: Thank you for the smile...

And of course I mean “my own smile” after reading your comment...
I would post everyday if I was sure of getting just one such a marvellous critique each time!!!
Also thank you for the information about the events in 1942, I will make some more internet research about it because Chris thought it was quite interesting.

Have a wonderful weekend dear John!
Hugs,
Viviane