Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-12-2006, 03:55 PM
TE Newbie

Default illuminated carnivals

Bridgwater Carnival is held annually in early November.

The Carnival procession parades through the streets of Bridgwater, and is known as the largest illuminated carnival in the world, unless of course you know different?

The illuminated procession regularly attracts crowds in excess of 150,000.

I'll be going to the carnival again this year, and I wondered if any one reading this had and tips on taking photos at this sort of event. I知 looking to try and capture the excitement, and the movement on the carts (or floats as they call them in Somerset).

It's usually cold, dark and wet at this carnival so I知 looking at protecting both me and my camera. Is a good plastic bag ok for this or should I値l pay for something more expensive?

I値l be watching from a seating area, so using a tripod may not be a good idea, I thought about using a 'string tripod' so I could sit and still brace the camera, does this method work?

I'll be using my canon, but I知 thinking that my 70-300mm may be too much,(even if i am sitting further back), and that my 50mm isn't appropriate for this type of photo, and so I値l probably use the 18-55mm lens that came with it, or should I look to use a different lens?

Any other tips would be gratefully received.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: illuminated carnivals

I took many photos in Viareggio carnival (but it is held in daylight9 and really I used only 50 mm objectives, leaving the 135 mm one only for items of the carts, in lower light these item could be lost, so i advise you to use the 50 mm. A monopod could be a good idea in a crowded environment, about the weater I do not know how it is in november in England, therefore I can not advise you how to protect your camera.
Regards, and take good shoots
Claudio
Old 09-12-2006, 11:03 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: illuminated carnivals

Claudio, thanks for your advice. I wasn't sure about the 50mm but I may give it ago. I need to practise finding its range, if you see what i mean.

Thanks again.

Craig