Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Default A plea to those departing the site

The reasons people have for ceasing activity on the site are many, and entirely their own business. I would just ask that they think long and hard before either deleting images or having their account removed completely.
Many people will have put a lot of effort into providing critiques of your work and that effort will have been wasted. I feel that deleting that effort is disrespectful to others. Also those leaving will have also put much time and effort into providing critiques which will also have helped others to develop their skills. Deletion of that content would also be a loss to everybody.
I do appreciate that some people will have strong feelings about making a complete break, and I fully accept their right to do so. I'm simply asking people not to act in haste.
I would also emphasise that this is not a request being made as a site moderator, simply as a long time member of the site.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Please don't delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitht View Post
Deletion of [...] content would also be a loss to everybody.
I agree with Keith.
There are good reasons to leave, and also to stay. If you leave, please don't delete photos, critiques, workshops. Don't delete your and other person's work.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 AM
TE Expert

Unhappy deleting photos

I agree with Keitht. Don't erase what you did. Don't erase the words that you received here.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Deleting photos

I agree 100% !

Jacques
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 AM
TE Junior Member

Hello everyone,
When you`re married you might get mad once in a while but that doesn`t mean you have to set the house on fire and leave. Frustration might occur anywhere but leaving will not solve the problem, although I have to admit, the temptation can be quite big.
I have to admit I did it once here: I deleted more than 100 photos but luckily I didn`t disable my account. I returned and I`m not sorry.
My favourites, as few as they are, are not really on this website anymore, well, most of them. This doesn`t mean they left and they removed everything. Their wonderful photos are still here, a good example for us who are still active, more or less.
This place is not perfect and what I recommend you is to try something else too and see if you find perfection. If so, please let me know
Warm regards,
Nelu Goia
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Deleting photos

The never ending search for perfection cannot but lead to perpetual frustration.
Doing one's best and recognizing most people are doing so while attempting to show the Earth is best for me and the source of my pleasure being here.

Deleting photos looks to me like an act of selfishness that does not serve any purpose for the site. And to be noticed, most of the quitters publish their deletion act on this forum as if they want to say "see, I am punishing everyone for not being perfect".

Jacques
Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
TE Expert

Default I do not agree with you guys

My view on this is that the individual work of members and the choice they make regarding their photos should prime on the well-being of the site and the community. What I mean is that as much energy as you put into critiquing someone's photos, that does not make the photos yours. The owner of the picture can do what he wants with it. So, for Jacques calling these people selfish, think twice. I think it's more selfish to ask for someone to leave his work on a site the members does not like or does not believe in anymore because you left a 2 lines critique on his photo. Let's leave the free choice to the owner of the photos...

Believe me, I've "lost" many "friends" that decided to leave. Each had different reasons to leave and each time it made me sad. But in the end, I don't mind about the numerous critiques I've done on their pics. The critiques are not lost because they read it when I wrote them. It does not change much that it stays on the site or not. You usually read a critique once or twice...not much more often than that. Especially for the critiques you write. Personally, very rarely do I go through the old critiques I've written in the past...So, I don't really care if someone removes his pic once he's read the critique. I mean, I care, but it's none of my business if it stays online or not.

So, of course I prefer when the pics stay online, but I cannot complain if the owner of the pic removes it because it is his, not mine.

have a good day,

Marc
Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
TE Expert

That's what I was thinking of Keith. I am completely agree with you. In Turkish there's a saying that "Who gets up in anger, sits down in a loss", which means an impulsive action brings irrecoverable damage.

Once the photos are deleted, it will be impossible to get them back and also it's a disrespect to those who have already wasted their time for writing critics. For me deleting photos = deleting memories.

Last edited by tober; 02-23-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamo View Post
My view on this is that the individual work of members and the choice they make regarding their photos should prime on the well-being of the site and the community. What I mean is that as much energy as you put into critiquing someone's photos, that does not make the photos yours. The owner of the picture can do what he wants with it.

So, of course I prefer when the pics stay online, but I cannot complain if the owner of the pic removes it because it is his, not mine.

have a good day,

Marc
Marc,

Of course the final decision lays with the member as you say. The images are theirs and the choice of what to do is also theirs. All I asked is that they consider the effect before making a decision as once an image is gone so are all the critiques associated with it. If the member still wishes to remove their work that is absolutely their right. My desire is simply to avoid people acting in haste and possibly regretting that action later.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:17 PM
TE Newbie

Smile Mixed Feelings.

I read all the other comments with interest.
Of course it is a personal choice.
But it is hard work choosing your pictures, making them fit, hoping for comment.
So after all that is there a point in removing them?
In a way you do yourself a disservice.
I can understand if you post a host of pictures and get very little comment.
But if your work has been good enough to invoke comment.
Surely that is a good reflection on yourself.
For me ... I am always pleased no matter how short the comment.