Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Greg1949 2007-03-01 23:36

Bernie, I like the shot and envy you for having had the opportunity to be there, I would sure like to go. To me it seems the lake and mountains are soft and that the foreground is in hard focus. Certainly it is a matter of choice but if the ridge line was the exposure and focal center the colors may have been richer and the focus in the distance sharper.

Greg

Old 03-03-2007, 08:13 AM
TE Newbie

Default To KoreaGreg: Good comment

Good thought. Now that I looked at the photo a second time, your idea might work better. I will try not using autofocus next time.
Thanks, Bernie
Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To KoreaGreg: Good comment

Bernie,

I am too old to manually focus m camrea, my eyes are just not up to it, but once I figured out how to make it focus on the area I wanted, and not necessairly the center frame, I have been very happy with AF. I still experiment with AE and the various exposure modes but AF I leave alone. Your shot was good anyway so you should not worry too much about it, there was pleanty of light and the DOF was huge. Good luck, I'll keep my eyes open waiting for more.

Greg
Old 03-04-2007, 12:51 AM
TE Newbie

I have the same focus problem as you ie. I cant see to clearely either when focusing. What is your trick for selective focus?
Bernie
Old 03-04-2007, 01:11 AM
TE Expert

In the D200 there is a marker (a rectangle ot several depending on mode) in the view finder that can be moved to any of the zones, the matrix I think it is called, that the camera uses to do AE or AF. Sometimes I have a hard time putting it where I want it, it takes an extra second or so and i sometimes lose a shot that was action based rather than still. I have to admit that I am no expert by any means but Nikon has spoiled me for hard focus crisp pictures.

In the D200 I also have to expose for the brightest part of the frame, not the darkest. Once the picture is blown out it is gone, but I use Nikon Capture NX software and not photoshop and have yet to have a dark area that can't be brought out to make the picture the image I remember seeing.

I hope ths helps and if you want to discuss more please use [email protected] and I'll share some images to illustrate what I am saying.

Greg