Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2017-07-08 13:16

Hi Peter
this is an easy WOW from me, oh man...to see this place in person would be quite the experience.

imagine sunrises or sunsets here too. is this in a location thats hard to find? hard to get to? and where are you taking the photo from???

breathtaking indeed. cheers
Craig

Old 07-09-2017, 04:47 PM
TE Newbie

Default To macjake: Hi Craig

unfortunately it is not very easy to find this place, it is the Cuiping Scenic Area some 30km from Yangshuo. It is a more or less secret place mostly frequented by a few chinese photographers.

Although I can speak and read Chinese, it still needed some deeper investigation and lots of time, as many people don't even know about it.

It is some 30km away from Yangshuo, about 1 hour by motorbike or car, at an unmarked intersection you have to turn down from the road into a village and then thru the village and lots of farmland, following local people's indicators placed on trees. There are many many hills in this scenic area (hundreds, I believe) but there is probably only this one, you actually can climb, so you really need to be able to communicate or read in Chinese. The place is managed by local people, the entrance fee goes directly to the village. Once the government has taken it over, which will soon happen, it will be well known but more expensive and overcrowded.

You could ask a travel agent, they organise trips to everywhere, but I found this place is mostly unknown, so the try to sell you other places stating that it is exactly what you are asking for...

But there are a few more similar places too.

Get in touch with a local agency, they will organise a trip picking you up at your hotel.

I believe for a first time China traveller with no Chinese language skills it definitely hard to get there alone.

The climbing is about 20 minutes or more, lots of steps to climb, even more mosquitos to kill...
Good for sunset, also sunrise should be ok, but the sunset side is more rewarding.

I will go back there in about two weeks, still waiting for the colorful sunset.

Greetings Peter

Last edited by peterpap; 07-09-2017 at 04:52 PM.