To holmertz: Don't bother.......! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-04-09 9:43

Hello John,
"Don't bother", "Food was disgusting" was what I found when I searched for an explanation of the name of this restaurant. Hygiene seems to have been good though, and I like the photo, not mainly because a nice lady entered into it, but because it's a sharp and well exposed photo with a lovely light and colours. And the building really is beautiful, so it's a great shame that the chef soils a proud name. ;-)
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 04-09-2020, 06:56 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Don't bother.......!

Hello Gert,Yes, quite! I read some of those reviews too and so I'm quite glad that we didn't venture into that place!I must admit I was a bit curious about the name of the restaurant, particularly because I have never been aware of the name "Gert" in the U.K. Then it occurred to me that it might just be a contracted form of "Gertrude" and, with a little help from Mr. Google, I'm just wondering if this might possibly have some connection with Gertrude Bell, of whom I have to confess I had never actually heard. She apparently had some short-lived affair with a certain Harry Cardogan but is most remembered (apparently) for being an explorer, mountaineer and archaeologist in the early 20th century, later to have dealings with Lawrence of Arabia and influence, after WWI, in the creation of Iraq.Well, that's a possible theory, I guess - and we'll see if my HTML link to Google works in the forums even if it doesn't work in the main TE site.Kind Regards,John.No, my link didn't work - nor did all the paragraphs which I set in the text above!
Old 04-10-2020, 07:06 AM
TE Expert

Hello John,

Apparently being a kind of female Indiana Jones and being involved in the creation of Iraq doesn't necessarily mean that this Gertrude was a good cook.

Have a nice Easter,

Gert