To holmertz: Phnom Banan or Phnom Sampeau ? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-04-09 12:27

Hello Paul,
The name of this place didn't ring a bell, but seeing the photos and reading the note I am 99% sure this is where I went on a half day tour by tuk-tuk from Battambang.
(Checking the only - quite bad - photo I posted from that trip confirms my memory.) I didn't return with any pictures of this quality, but now I get curious to return to my archive to see what could be found there. I do remember the height and the many steps to the summit of the hill, and my guide asking me "How old are you actually?" when I took some deep breaths and rested for a few seconds.
These shots bring back nice memories, and I admire their brightness. Although I like the WS with the monkeys and the statue I wouldn't necessarily have demanded it as a main upload. This one does very well.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 04-09-2020, 07:44 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Phnom Banan or Phnom Sampeau ?

Thank you Gert,

Are you sure itís the same hill ?

Nearby Battambang thereís also the hill
Phnom Banan with wonderful old Khmer temples on top and with many steep steps to climb.

Here on Phnom Sampeau there are no steps. Just a few at the very last part.
A long way around the mountain leads to the top and people walk on an easy path or sit on the back of a motorbike.
The temples I mentioned in my note arenít that spectacular, not compared to those of Phnom Banan.
But the views were better in Phnom Sampeau.

Best regards,
Paul

Old 04-10-2020, 07:03 AM
TE Expert

Hello Paul,

The photo I posted I located to Phnom Sampeau, but you are right: those steps are not the steep ones I mentioned. It was a long trip and I must have been to both places, just now mixing them up in my memory. My diary should confirm this, but I don't bother to take it out. I trust your much fresher memory.
Have a nice Easter.
Gert
Old 04-10-2020, 07:32 AM
TE Expert

Hi Gert,

Phnom Banan has beautiful very old Khmer temples, like Angkor Wat but smaller of course. They are actually ruins.
Phnom Sampeau has newer and colourful temples but these are less interesting. Monks also live there.
People go to Phnom Sampeau for the views, for the visit of the killing caves of the Khmer Rouge and for a large cave high on a rock where at 5.30 pm every day millions of bats come flying out. The latter was quite spectacular.

Happy Easter!
Stay safe.
Paul