Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 PM
TE Junior Member

Default WHY are your pics stolen....

Hello everybody

In the past, I have been a very active member on TE. Then I have gone, and deleted all my pics, because I was tired of regularly finding my pics on other sites, individual or commercial ones.

I come back here from time to time, to have a look on your work, and sometimes I read the topics in the forum.
I can see that this problem is still current, may be even worse than before.

I just read that someone said that "TE has nothing to do with this", and I do not agree at all.

Don't you see that the particular structure of TE enables people to steal pics ?!?

Let me explain it : TE is a giant base of photos. But contrary to numerous other sites on photography, here they are sorted, first by Country, then by cities. It is sooooo easy to find out what you are looking for, through a simple research/request ! Just ask and help yourself !!

On most other sites, photographs are sorted by theme, I mean "landscapes", "abstract", "portrait", and so on. For someone searching out to steal a view in Madrid, for an example, it is a long, long search, with no promise of success in the end.

But try to launch a research on TE with the research tool... and within a few seconds you exactly know if your search is successful !
And 'thanks to' all these clues you leave on TE, I mean not only 'country', 'city', but also in your titles and notes, sometimes your pics are stolen directly from search engines !! The more information you leave, the more exposed you are.

2 solutions :
- Either Adam will realize one day that he could protect better the members by cancelling the geographic sorting of pics, or at least by making it more general and less precise ;
- Or you just have to take the decision to leave. That's what I did.

My two cents.
And my best regards to all fellows I still appreciate here. ;-)
Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: WHY are your pics stolen....

ither Adam will realize one day that he could protect better the members by cancelling the geographic sorting of pics, or at least by making it more general and less precise ;

Great idea, and I think there should be further restrictions Adam should add to the site such as removing any note or title that identifies the image, as well as removing the option to upload photographs completely.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM

Brilliant ideas. What could be better for a site who's avowed aim is "Learning about the world through photography" than to have no way of finding out the country or city you wish to learn about??
Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Why the hell bother about picture being stolen.
Most of us are amateurs and happy to deal their pictures and travel experiences through the web. I have absolutely no intention to make money out of my pictures... and would be happy to find them on other websites.
The only thing I ask for is that my name be mentioned and the photo be maintained as posted. This is why I have indicated recently the following mention in my Intro page "My photographic work is ruled by the Creative Commons License"
Eric /.
PS: Martine, je pense que les réponses qui me précèdent sont assez explicite. Gardons à TE sa spécificité... et que ceux qui veulent préserver jalousement leurs oeuvres les gardent sur un CD dans un coffre fermé à double tour!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:48 PM
TE Expert

Martine...
You lucky girl... You...

Have a wonderful weekend, gal

I wish you a great success in finding as many as possible of your pics... EVERYWHERE !

envy...George

Old 02-16-2008, 04:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Question: Why are our pictures stolen?
Answer : Because they have some intrinsic value to other people.

The value the hold could be to fill a gap in a thesis, slot nicely into a holiday / travel brochure or to be used by a third party in a competition where they pretend that they've taken the photo. There are hundreds if not thousands of possibile scenarios.

I agree with Eric to a point. I wouldn't mind anyone using my photos for non-profit purposes. A while back a lady asked if she could have a few of my shots of medieval jousting for a school fete using that as the theme. I was delighted - so long as I got credit for my efforts.

If, however, someone is going to use my work to make money for themselves, then I don't worry about it - I get mad as hell and do whatever I can to name and shame the thief in front of his audience or those who he's tryng to pass of my work as his own.

Where I do agree with Eric is that there's no point worrying about it. There are ways of making your shots less attractive - such as watermarking / digi-marking but all such efforts can be overcome. Disabling the right mouse click will deter the absolute novice but no-one else.

If it was to protect copyright of your images, I think you probably made the wrong decision to leave TE. Your images are at risk wherever you post them.

Paul.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:10 PM
TE Senior Member

-

OK... PAUL, THIS IS WHAT I THINK... IT IS NOT IMPORTANT FOR ME THAT THEY USE MY WORKS FOR NOT LUCRATIVE ENDS, BUT IT IRRITATES ME THAT THEY USE THEM TO GAIN MONEY, SINCE IT IS MY CASE IN WHAT ' SPANISH TELEVISION ' IT HAS USED ONE OF MY PHOTOS (and the author did not mention) FOR A CONTEST IN WHICH THE PEOPLE HAD THAT ADIVINAR WHERE IT WAS TAKEN SENDING SMS. TVE HAS GAINED MONEY WITH MY PHOTO AND WITHOUT MY PERMISSION OR AUTHORIZATION. I BELIEVE THAT THAT IS NOT LEGAL, IT IS NOT OF JUSTICE.

QUILLO.

-
Old 02-16-2008, 06:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Come on guys,what`s the big fuss about stealing photos?
If you don`t want your photos to be stolen just make your own website,the way you like it,and post them there. See if you have the same audience like here,on trekearth...
Let me ask you a question: what is better, to have an ugly wife,well protected in your house, from where nobody could steel her, where nobody can see her or to have a beautiful one, who is in the centre of attention and who is wanted by everybody?:)
Yes, we are pretty much all amateurs and we all want our photos to be seen. The professionals should try something else if they don`t like the way things work here and if they care about theft so much.
Cheers:)
Nelu
Old 02-16-2008, 06:43 PM
TE Expert

AMEN

you get the illusion
while others eat
out of your pocket

one is called business
the other theft
the line in between very vague

who cares ?
exploited or exploit

share and enjoy
expose who cross the line
Old 02-16-2008, 08:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Well, guys... Why are you that aggressive ? Do you seriously believe that the world is only made of people who think like you ?...

However, when reading the forum, I don't feel I'm the first one to debate about this subject.

And money, money, money !!! Can't you just only think about 'respect' ?
When I speak about 'stolen pics', I don't mean systematically 'taken without paying it', but more simply 'taken without asking authorization'.

Anyway... I find it easy and cowardly to have this kind of behaviour with someone who is no longer active. You probably would not have used the same voice with one of your fellow critiquers...

Finally, I have to thank you very much, as if one day I need pics for external use, I know you will be happy that I take them in your galleries. ;-)

Good luck, guys, and have fun.