Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great yanseiler 2008-06-30 4:03

Hi hugh, you have interesting frames in your photoset, however it seems to me that you are posting too many pictures, you should post only the best selection, this one is nice...

Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To yanseiler: Too many for whom?

Hi, Yan, thanks for your comment, I guess. But I cannot say I find it very useful, though. Why should I limit the number of photos I post? And who is to say which are the 'best' or not?

In return, I have a comment for you, unfortunately: Saying that a photo is 'nice' -- while a friendly thing to do -- is next to useless. In fact it's not in line with the TOS of TE. Critiques are suppose to be constructive.

Your comment seems to me to be saying that the only reason to post photos is to get points for the 'best' photos. I don't care about the points. And I think the people who visit my gallery appreciate having new photos to look at all the time.

So, in short, I think your your comment is misguided, and, in fact, makes no sense at all.

Best,
-Hugh
Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To yanseiler: Too many for whom?

Hugh, yes this picture is nice, people tend to elaborate long critiques to say nothing, what is important for an image at the end ? nice or interesting, this picture is not interesting but it is nice... Btw you are the man to say what is best or not about your gallery, not me, avoiding repetition and stuff like this... your gallery looks more like a Flickr stream, this is what I mean.

About constructive critiques, do you think that the following (so much seen) would be more interesting ?
>> Hi Hugh, you've caught a wonderful moment with a perfect timing (hu ok !), the DOF is perfectly used in this case (ah ok), it is very interesting to discover the dummy in the background (ah really ?)... The exposure is well done as well, nothing is over exposed (oh cool). However the column is not straight, I would suggest not to tilt pictures like this adn you've cropped his elbow, I would also suggest not to crop parts of people...

I don't know, a picture is nice or not, when there is nothing to improve(according to my judgement) to say, I say nothing... And why people get offended when they receive "bad" critiques. Everyone is open to critiques unless they get a "bad one" (which was not the case about the picture)... So next time I only critique the ones I find "bad" (or less nice than other in the gallery if you prefer), so I won't tell you anymore that you have a nice picture, thanks for the warning Hugh...
cheers
Yan
Old 06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Yan, there are plenty of photographers who post a photo a day. Plenty of excellent photographers here who do that. I'm sure that many of them are even among your favorites -- as well they should be. Do you tell them not to post so many?

I'm sorry if you think this looks like a Flickr stream -- whatever that means. There are great Flickr galleries and not so good ones (and terrible ones, too).

But, in fact, exactly what I was saying is that your comment is like many Flickr comments. 'Nice shot.' 'Great.' 'Cool.' That's what people tend to say on Flickr.

There's more to critiquing than just saying good or bad. I must admit, my comment on your football photo was just about as slim as yours, but it seemed like an informal shot deserving a light comment -- so I tried to make a pleasant little quip.

Even though I see that you think I am being ungrateful for your 'positive' 'critique,' I am really reacting to what seemed like a criticism of my posting too many photos. Of the two things you said in your brief comment -- i.e, too many photos and this one is nice, the former seemed to be the dominant message.

I don't get offended when I receive good or bad critiques. I do get offended when people say things that don't make sense to me. I post every photo with care and attention. And I don't care for the implication that I am just dumping inferior shots on in my gallery.

In any case, it's okay with me if you don't say anything about any of mine any more -- 'good' or 'bad'. I think our philosophies about this site clash, so it's probably just best to leave it at that.

Chau,
-Hugh
Old 06-30-2008, 03:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Hugh, this is maybe the problem of text messages, I didn't want to be rude and I didn't want to hurt you in any sense. I didn't say that your gallery is not nice.I like this one and I find it nice... It is true that I should take the time to explain (with examples) what I mean, all my apologies...
Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM
TE Senior Member

Okay, Yan. It's probably just a miscommunication. Maybe a language thing. I'm sorry, too. I didn't mean to be hostile. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it. Best regards,
-Hugh