Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Gonflé!

you can put all the protection you want, you press the Prt Src key of your keyboard, paste the content in photoshop, crop it and you have the image...

To summarize,you cannot protect them unless you post them at 20x20 pixels...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 PM
TE Expert

YOU (or me) can do it...not everyone...!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 PM
TE Expert

sssst ... 30% of my posts are done like that :)
Old 02-19-2008, 10:02 AM
TE Expert

Yan,

we all know that there is no way to protect an photo at 100%. That's why we have to find a way to prevent most of the thieves. Watermark is on of them...

Cheers,

Loïc
Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: WHY are your pics stolen....

Martine,
I am curious about where you have found your photos posted / used without permission.
I also support a more active role by TE admins to protect the copyrights of the fotos on the site. My suggestion has been (for some time) the incorporation of a watermark.
Thanks,
B
Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM
TE Newbie

Maybe I am just naiive, Perhaps I am even ignorant?...But if we are going to have the facility of performing workshops for other people, how can we do that if we can't download their image first?

I agree that watermarking and website coding are both useful ways of discouraging a percentage of the people who might take your photo to use for commercial purposes. But I am flattered when someone likes my picture enough to want it for a desktop or something similar. As long as they are not onselling it or using it for commercial purposes then they can take the odd pic with my blessing (even if it would be nice for them to let me know just so that I can enjoy the fact that someone likes my artwork).

It seems silly to spend significant money on photographic equipment to make pics which no-one ever sees. That sounds to me like hiding your lantern under a bush. At least when people want your images then you know you were "in the zone" when the picture was taken. Beyond seeing images and having the opportunity to communicate and share with photographers from all over the world (most in far more interesting photographic locations than myself) learning to be "in the zone" more often is the personal goal of why I joined TE in the first place. At any rate, for me the learning which I can take away from TE is exactly the same thing that might make my photography desirable to other people, and I am prepared to have the odd pic lifted if that meant that I have gone through the process of becoming a more creative and proficient photographer.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 PM
TE Newbie

As far as I know there is no prohibition against adding a copyright notice and a watermark to any image displayed on TE. As a matter of fact, it is a very good practice to do so. If the image is clearly watermarked/copyrighted and the the image is stolen and modified to remove the notices the thief is willfulling stealing the image.

According to the article mentioned earlier on Dan Heller's site willfull theft in the US can bring a penalty of $30'000, plus $2500 per instance and legal costs. If the image is not visually copyrighted, damages may amount to their value as stock photgraphy; perhaps as low as $1 per image.

To prtotect yourself you should place a visual copyright notice on all photos and a watermark. Doing this will considerbly increase your legal rights to claim infringement.

Also, there is an electronic watermarking service run by Digimarc (?) which places a digital signiture inside your image. They claim that it is virtually impossible to remove the digital watermark. The digimarc service can be added to PhotoShop as a plug-in and cost $79 per year for an individual. (Digimarc adds noise to the image that it uses to identify you as the owner. Most people seem to think that simply placing a visual watermark is the most effective)

I would like to say that may people falsely believe that their images are too low-res at 800pixels. With enhancement programs like fractal images the images can be significantly resized without substantial degradation. The makers of fractul pictures claim tha images can be enlarged up to 1000% without significant degradation.

I myself only recently returned to TE over concerns of image theft. But I decided that by making certain the images are low-res, visibly contain a copyright notice, and a visible watermark I am as protected as I can be and still display the images online. This is true whether they are on TE, Google, or my own site.

A+
cwlupica

I decided that the low-res images can be enhanced with things like fractal images to
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
TE Newbie

One way to address this issue is to write Copyright:Your Name on the photo, this will make it less likely to be stolen.
But in general, this is the free wild internet and this will happen whether we want this or not. So best idea is just not to really worry about this as long as no real harm is done, why do you want to suffer stress because someone steels your photos.
The h** with them, enjoy your time and don't think about this, nothing can be done about this anyway.
Although placing a watermark by TE could help a little.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 PM
TE Expert

If the image is not visually copyrighted, damages may amount to their value as stock photgraphy; perhaps as low as $1 per image.

... that could be right like on a personal site or flickr when there is no sign of copyright by every photo ...
on TE every photo is accompagnied by a copyright, therefore no need to write it again and again.

If you want to be really safe, you can register your photos, although you have to pay for each of them to register ... the company will be in charge to claim abuses.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 AM
TE Newbie

I think you need to read your own quote, "If the image is not visually copyrighted". The copyright that TE puts below the image does not visually copyright the image. The copyright notice needs to be incorporated into the image in such a way that the person taking the image has to edit the photo to remove the notice.

Let's be clear, taking someone's image and using it without permission is stealing; doubly so if it is for commercial purposes. Every image theft reduces the possibilty that a photo can be sold. If you can get it for free and there are no consequences then why not? Because it is theft and you are depriving me of income.

If someone comes into your house and steals you camera I don't think anyone here is going to simply say, "Oh well, people steal cameras, why worry about it".

Charlie