Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-16-2005, 04:21 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Canon f/1.8 50mm ... any ideas?

I don't have any uploaded photo with this lens yet, i can send you some photos latter on to your email... without any PP.

Or you can see the last photo from Maciej, he used that lens.

For the price you can't get much better, i bought mine in a regular shop for 100Ä (i didn't even researched in internet for a better price...)
Old 11-16-2005, 05:59 PM
TE Junior Member

I use the 50mm and like it quite a bit. If you are using it for a digital camera, you may want to consider either getting one of the older metal mounts used or fork over the extra change for the 1.4 usm. One of my friends had to get his sensor cleaned after shavings from the plastic mount got loose inside. Also, if you are wanting a normal angle of view on a non full frame camera, you will want to look at either the 35mm F2 or the 28mm F1.8 USM.

Grav
Old 11-16-2005, 06:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Come on, Rafal, lots of people already said itís a great lens...just buy it...it does not cost an arm and a leg. Just be ready that shots at f/1.8 will be a bit soft, but from f/2 up it is tack sharp. The only thing that I don't like is the plastic mount, slow and noisy AF and the build quality is crap (but what do you want from a USD $80 lens, eh?). BUY IT!

BTW: This should be the first lens you mount on your camera once you buy it. Go home, unpack the camera, mount only the 50 and go for a walk...DSLR photography is WAY different than P&S (you actually have to look through the viewfinder when taking people shots...can make you a bit shy), but the 50 on the camera will give you a crash course in framing (remember no more 4/3...you are now in 3/2 land) and is a great starter lens when going on to DSLR photography. After your initial 50 walkaround mount the 17-40 and you'll be ready to take pictures. The DSLR is a learning curve, but it's worth every penny.

Have fun!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:33 PM

I agree wit Fil about using a prime lens first, it would be a very good lesson - zooming with your feet.
for me 50mm on 20D with 1.6x crop is too narrow, it is sth like 80mm, a short tele lens, good for portraits.
i'd suggest sth wider for 20D, sth like 24mm or 20mm, closer to the real 35mm
Old 11-16-2005, 07:11 PM
TE Expert

the 50mm (80mm for wqhat we talk about here) may not fit its purpose for candid street photography, i rarely use it as a people's photographer, and it is definitely too tele for inside shots (plus hunting in low light, as I wrote before). IMO, for candid, on the go photography, it will often be too long or too short, and the zooming with your feet will deliver its learning curve, more out of a 28-35mm lens (42-56mm on 1.6 sensor) than a 50mm, which is more for still/nature/posed shots.

This said, optics are fine, It's a 70$ lens, and very light to have in the bag. Worth owning, for very specific use though.