Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-12-2005, 01:16 PM
TE Expert

Default Lenses for Canon

Im now getting ready to finally buy the 20D. Thats decided 100%. But what I dont know is what lens. I will probably shell out the cash on the Canon f/4 17-40mm lens but Id love to get some good cheaper alternatives. Anything out there thats as good but cheaper? How about Tamron? I read something about the Tamron f/2.8-4 17-35mm lens. Any opinions?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:58 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Lenses for Canon

I bought a new lens today, the Canon 28-135mm with IS and although I've only been able to shoot around the house so far today, I'm in love with it. Main reason for me buying it was that I only wanted to have to carry 1 lens while I hike and go travelling. Not having the wide angle may be an issue, but I always have the smaller kit lens to carry with it if needed.

The other lens I was looking at was the Tamron 28-75mm which has received rave reviews and a lot of people reckons its as good as the L series, however there seems to be a few dodgy copies of it around and I didn't want to take the risk with it. Plus I'm not sure if 75mm would be enough.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

I found the site above very valuable. It contains a lot of user opinions on the various lenses, it was a major influence on my decision in the end.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 AM
TE Junior Member

You could always add that 10-22mm or a 20mm prime for wide shots.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:30 PM
TE Expert

Hi Rafal,

can be useful,if you take a look to members'shots who work with 20D and their lenses and results,and you will find many things.
Now,I use EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM,I think not an excellent lens,but not bad,and as you want,this can not be expensive for start,although,I'm thinking for prepar another lenses like you,I'm studing:)
Maybe, for Macro,I go for Sigma and for Tele,Canon serie.

cheers
Mohammad
Old 11-12-2005, 03:58 PM
TE Expert

Well if you see my shots, its basically mostly street photography. What I want is a lens that is good for this but FAST so that I dont lose photos due to blurriness in low light (stores, subways, etc). I dont like using flash at all.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 AM
TE Junior Member

Well, the 17-85mm, though not fast has IS on it. However, you will also pay almost as much as the 17-40L. I use the special Silver version of the 24-85mm lens. That particular lens was made separately from the regular 24-85mm lenses. It is reputed to have better glass. As I only have used the silver, I can't say for sure, but I have been pleased with the results. Max aperature is only 3.5 though. Still, not bad for $200 in almost mint used condition. That would a good zoom lens which could be supplimented with either a 50mm or 35mm prime which are both fast. I love my 50mm, but as it functions more like an 85mm, you may find the 35mm prime more useful. Perhaps the 10-22mm for when you need to do wide angle. Hope that helps.

Grav

Grav
Old 11-13-2005, 04:11 AM
TE Newbie

Hey rafal.I've been using 20D since last year and satisfied. Probably you will need a wide angle lens because 20D has 1.6 times crop body.
If you can afford it I would like to recommend you cannon f/4 17-40L which I 'm also considering to buy this lens soonest. I currently use Sigma f/4.5 17-50 and like it due to reasonable price & performances. But one of weak points is yellowish. You can also consider cannon 17-55.
I can't wait your much excellent taken by 20D.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:23 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Rafal. the f2.8-4 17-35mm sounds good, it will be fast at 17mm, which will be good for low light street stuff. I have heard that Tamron is good, sharp. What about the 16-35mm f2.8... not sure how much it costs though.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:12 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Rafal. I originally bought my 20D with the stock lens and was disappointed, so I upgraded to a EFS 17-85 IS, which I am quite happy with, as it gives a generous amount of wide angle plus enough zoom for my needs. The Image Stabilizer is a real plus. I strongly recommend that you purchase the dual battery pack attachment, particularly if the lens you buy has IS, for you use a lot more battery power. Having two batteries working for you is great back-ip. Good luck.
John
Old 11-13-2005, 01:29 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Rafal,
I just had to make this choice, and my 20D and 17-40 are on order. I was considering the 10-22 as I wanted something a little more wide angle but deceided against it as being efs it may prove to be short lived. digital bodies become obsolete very fast I figure, but the ef lenses are here to stay, and one day when I get a full frame body the 17-40 will cover the wider angle that I want.
Also nobody has anything bad to say about the 17-40, only endless praise! I cant wait for it to arrive!