Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kasianowak 2019-08-14 9:21

Hi Gert
So... I've just crossed Vietnam off my list of countries to travel to in November... ;-)
But, really, this overcast light is not that bad for the subjects in the main shot. In dull light, with not much contrast, we can clearly see the cyclist dressed in dark clothes and the (once) white shirt of the man on the cart. The image is in fact similar to the street shots from Hanoi, only taken in the open countryside.
I like the fact that the slower means of transport are shown before the fastest (at least in theory) on. It's not any quicker to travel by bus... :-)
Best wishes
Kasia
Ps. I'm also reading Deep South by Paul Theroux (with photos by Steve McCurry). And that after just having finished Blood on the Tracks... Why am I reading all these books about the USA? I have no intention to ever travel there...

Old 08-14-2019, 04:49 PM
TE Expert

Default To kasianowak: quicker

Thank you Kasia,
I think the bus eventually overtook the ox cart...
So, is that Theroux book any good? I had a feeling he was getting old and tired and not as much fun as a few decades ago. Searching my bookshelves the other day for books I actually never read I found one called "American fascists". I will definitely read it soon, but I wonder how reliable it is. A certain president is not among the namnes in the index. ;-) But I suppose that when the book was published in 2006 he was regarded as too stupid and ridiculous ever to become worth mentioning.
Best wishes,
Gert
Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Books

I think he was already tired and fed up towards the end of the Last Train to Zona Verde. Here he kind of perks up to say "travelling in the US is so much easier than anywhere else in the world". Then continues to explain that is because you can get everywhere by car... and because people are friendly and then immediately he says they are not very welcoming to strangers... precisely the reason why I don't think it's easier than, e.g. travelling in Nepal.
Lots of history of the USA (black, Civil War, impoverished South etc.) I've never heard of before. But, generally, everything you've just said about it.