Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2019-08-13 13:55

Hello Gert,

This is a fabulous photograph! And, now that you remind us of the picture you took just seconds after this one, we are treated to a fine comparison of the two.

As you say, your later photo (the one you posted ten years ago!) is a little oversaturated and I think you made a wise decision to convert this one to black and white - and the sepia toning I find very tasteful too.

Quite honestly, if I had been where you were taking this photograph I think I should have felt rather nervous. And nervous for perhaps two reasons: firstly, this fellow is pretty big and also very serious-looking and appears imperious and rather full of his own importance and might not relish the idea of a foreigner standing in his way and pointing a camera at him; and, secondly, because he is so big and his donkey is so small he does, quite honestly, look absolutely ridiculous and I should have worried that I might burst out laughing - which also would have incurred his wrath.

I presume that this one was scanned with your new scanner. In any case, the scan is excellent (as also must have been your original slide) and the details and sharpness superb.

Together with a fascinating and inspiring note, this is a wonderful photograph which just has to be added to my favourites.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 AM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: old scan

Thank you John for your kind remarks and for adding this to tour favourites.
This is actually an old scan, made years ago but improved with PSE recently. I adjusted the terrible original colours and considered posting it that way. But I was still not quite satisfied. The colours now looked fairly dull. So I got the idea to give it a sepia tone, which of course was much better.
I have no particular memories of taking this photo, but I don't think I was nervous. Although it was a very conservative religious city, the atmosphere was calm and polite and I felt totally safe in every narrow alley. And that man probably never even saw me.
Kind regards,
Gert