Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
This photo was not pinned using the TE Pinterest shortcut
I'm not sure... Maybe Pinterest members can modify links somehow!

Quote:
Whoever posted that must have used their own "pin it" button.
Paul, it says: "Pinned via pinmarklet".
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanni View Post
I'm not sure... Maybe Pinterest members can modify links somehow!

Paul, it says: "Pinned via pinmarklet".
I suppose it's possible the links could be modified, but...

Pinmarket is the set of buttons Pinterest provides, including the one we have on our photo pages. It also includes pins from smartphones, and the "pin it" button that anyone can put in their browser (I have it in mine).

You'll notice that when you click back to the TE page from the photo you linked, there is no TE Pinterest button on that page; that means it was not pinned using our button. Most likely, someone navigated to the "Sweden" page, then clicked their own "Pin it" button and selected your photo -- which they could do even if we have no Pinterest button on our site.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 PM
TE Expert

Quote:
You'll notice that when you click back to the TE page from the photo you linked, there is no TE Pinterest button on that page; that means it was not pinned using our button. Most likely, someone navigated to the "Sweden" page, then clicked their own "Pin it" button and selected your photo -- which they could do even if we have no Pinterest button on our site.
Thanks for clarification, Paul! I thought so, too... but this is very frustrating, all the same.

Maybe first someone pinned 1 photo via the special button which is placed near each photo on TE.
And then, after they (on Pinterest site) liked the photo, they decided to pin whole pages of TE gallery on one go (to save the time and space, if I may say so), which doesn't make the situation less serious, though. ... imho.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 PM
TE Junior Member

Exclamation

Quote:
This photo was not pinned using the TE Pinterest shortcut; if it had been, it would link back to your exact photograph, so everyone would know it is yours. Whoever posted that must have used their own "pin it" button.

There is no way to stop Pinning from occurring. We can complain that the buttons make it easier -- but they have the dual function of ensuring that your photos are properly linked back to their source here at TE! Without that, people would come here, copy and paste your photo, and use it without attribution altogether.

Again, this process is evolving and new. I think it's worth it to wait and see how the legalities settle before reacting too much. But if there is a TE Community outcry, we'll change.

Paul

OUTCRY
OUTCRY
OUTCRY
how many members does it take for a problem to become a problem

Even if they link back here on the first instance the 45th pin later does not.

The opt in or out button is the easy solution (even if it does not work at least we would feel better about it)

TE is not as easily relevant these days as it has been in the past with places like 500px and FLickr dominating the world of image sharing but is still a good place for interactions between members.

Every one of the Print on demand outlets i use either do not have pintrest buttons or they have the opt out clause.

You are assigning the right to out work away by making it easy for pintrest members to steal and claim copyright over out work..

Remember Pintrest is built on the backbone of if your pinning it you have the right to do so as in the originating artist.

Someone here must have sat down and thought what can we do about the latest craze on the internet and came up with the pintrest button.

Possibly there is a financial gain from it? extra traffic generated back here allowing TE to show more visitors and command more for advertising?

What do i know i am just a mere serf...

Maybe it would be better if you didnt wait for the legalities of all these stolen images to come back to bite you and take action now

Or would taking action now mean a turn around?

No one is going to think less of you guys if you do but we will think less of you if you dont
Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 AM
TE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weetrees View Post
how many members does it take for a problem to become a problem
I'm not sure; right now I'm seeing concern from a handful, and opposition from 2-3? That's a pretty small percentage of the TE community, but we'll keep watching!

Quote:
Even if they link back here on the first instance the 45th pin later does not.
I'm not sure that's true. It all depends on where the pin is repinned from; when repinned from TE to a board within Pinterest, it will always link back to the original photo here on TE no matter how many times it's repinned; only when the original pin is not made from TE's Pinterest button may it not link back. Again, any user can "claim" copyright or anything by simply reposting it online -- a photo at Pinterest, a section of text from a book on their blog -- it does not make your actual copyright invalid.

Quote:
The opt in or out button is the easy solution (even if it does not work at least we would feel better about it)
Yep. I'll investigate how we might be able to do that. If other sites do, I don't see why we can't.

Quote:
You are assigning the right to out work away by making it easy for pintrest members to steal and claim copyright over out work..

Remember Pintrest is built on the backbone of if your pinning it you have the right to do so as in the originating artist.
I don't believe that is the case. Recently they changed their TOS to make this clearer. And the law on these sites is still being written. TE will never enable anyone to steal its members' work or invalidate their copyright.

Quote:
Possibly there is a financial gain from it? extra traffic generated back here allowing TE to show more visitors and command more for advertising?
Absolutely there is gain in driving more traffic to TE. At the moment, the amount of traffic from Pinterest is tiny though.

I'm sure we'll all learn as we go here. But rest assured, TE is firmly on its members' side as to the ownership of their work.

Paul
Old 05-18-2012, 05:36 AM
TE Expert

Default Popular Photography

The following article appeared in Popular Photography Magazine in February this year. I deals with the Opt in Opt out option. http://www.popphoto.com/2012/02/flic...pyright-images

In recent weeks, social sharing site Pinterest has come under a large amount of fire for the ease with which images can be transmitted without any acknowledgement of their original source, and a flagrant disregard for copyright. Pinterest runs by allowing users to "pin" content they find on any website onto their own board, and share it with their friends — however the snippit of code that pulls the image and content onto Pinterest made it easy to do so without proper attribution.

Recently Pinterest made moves to rectify this by releasing a small piece of code that websites could embed to block being able to "pin" images, which, according to VentureBeat, Flickr has now adopted. Now, all non-public and non-safe pages, and all images where the member has disabled sharing, will block Pinterist. Anyone who's used Flickr substantially has probably hit those blocked images before, which handily protect against people just downloading them with a click or two.

As always, there are ways around these blocks — either by diving into the source code, and pulling out the image URL, or just by a screencap. However, the barrier is probably enough to stop many people from going into the extra work required, and will hopefully do something to stop the rampant abuses you see on Pinterest. Now, if only someone would do something about Tumblr and non-attribution.

I strongly urge Admin to look into this option.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 06:39 PM
TE Junior Member

Thank you for that link -- I will read with interest.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 PM
TE Expert

Default Thanks ...

Hi Paul - I would really appreciate it if you did check out the information. Today I found a person in the USA who has one of my photographs on her site (without any permission granted) who sells cards made from photographs. This is clearly not acceptable. I have also found TE images used on Pinterest in connection with commercial advertising. One was for a yacht charter company another for a travel agent and another for a site promoting Scotland. All these pins are illegal. Rosemary
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Thanks a lot for the information, Rosemary!

I've been following the thread!
Guess the situation is starting to worry me also!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 AM
TE Expert

Cool Pinterest

Hi all
I used Adblock to remove pinterest logo.
I used the right button of my mouse

Last edited by Didi; 05-19-2012 at 12:35 AM.