Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-09-27 4:47

Hello Mariusz,
I recognized the street and the huge tower immediately (but of course I forgot the names). I have very fond memories of my visit to Gdańsk and considered it one of my highlights of your home country.
The weather was beautiful (we were there in July). Just a little chilly. That's why I was surprised when you wrote earlier that the summer is warmer at the Baltic Sea than at the North Sea.
Apparently this main street is always crowded.
The photo has a charming busy atmosphere.
Beautifully presented with the classic paintings of the quayside at the Motława River and the famous port crane in the foreground.
Funny that the artist was almost asleep :) You never know. Perhaps some artists sell so much of their works that they have to make the most of their time creating new works and enlisten a fake figure to sell on the street.
Best regards, Paul

Old 09-27-2021, 01:26 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: Baltic Sea vs North Sea

Hi Paul,
The weather along the Baltic Sea coast is unpredictable nearly as badly as for the North Sea Coast.
I have two interesting examples to compare:
I lived in the North Germany for a coupe of years. In Lubeck. We were closer to the Baltic Sea but it was also not far from the North Sea. Baltic Sea coast was always nicer weather-wise although I have no real statistics at hand.
In Spain the coast east of Tarifa/Gibraltar is warmer than the coast west of Tarifa due to the Atlantic Ocean nearby.
Kind regards,
M
Old 09-27-2021, 04:55 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz,

It's the first time that I hear that there's such a big difference in both coasts in northern Germany.
On the other hand, hardly anyone from Belgium ever goes to the sea in the north of Germany. Of course you will know since you have lived there.

As for your example of southern Spain:
That is clear. There is a big difference between the coast on the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean coast in Andalusia.
Just like in the south of France there is a big difference between the coast on the ocean and the one on the Mediterranean.

How about the north of England? You live there now.
Is there a difference between the west and the east coast of England?
How about Scotland?

You were in Crete last year.
Was the south coast warmer than the north coast?

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 09-27-2021, 06:48 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,
this is even more easy although I can talk from experience about the north of England: West is infamous for being particularly rainy. Manchester for example is known as having always terrible weather. Teesside where I live: in the east: is very dry. There are just small hills between east and west but somehow they keep the clouds coming over from the west.
Interestingly the same situation happens in Ireland: western part of the country is extremely rainy. In the north west, Donegal, it rains like 9 out of 10 days.
While Dublin is relatively dry. Basically the bad rainy weather comes from north west.
Also interesting the north east England has nearly identival weather to east of Ireland. I was checking precipitation level temperatures etc before I moved from Dublin to Teesside. So it really looks as if the west gets terrible weather probably from the Atlantic or Arctic and it gets milder before it gets to the east coast.
Kind regards,
M