Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-01-2005, 10:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default indeed

perhaps you are really a girl! ;)

thanks for all the names, you guys.

darshan = what exactly?

something tells me i'm not the only one procrastinating on TE...
Old 02-01-2005, 10:45 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: indeed

you're the 5th or the 6th person on this site who's thought this
i take offence!!!! :)

i'll leave the meaning of darshan to sanchia. she's an aspiring linguist ( i think) and i'm also scared that i'm gonna give some really weird/funny translation for it. It actually means “glimpse of the divine” but I don’t think that’s applicable here, so I guess you should wait for her translation.
Yeah you’re right it does seem like someone else is also procrastinating on TE. Can’t help it if people like simon are busy posting photographs like this one
if you notice carefully, the woman here has an upper hand :)
Old 02-02-2005, 08:09 AM
TE Newbie

Interestingly, someone has just told me about Julia Margaret Cameron, a Victorian photographer. She was one of the first to attempt portraits that captured the emotional states of her subjects. She might be worth a look for the sake of historical interest, though if she was Victorian, the aesthetics could be quite far from our 21st century tastes.

Sohrab, your translation of "darshan" is quite right. I imagine you meant it as a joke, something like, "So Miss D, you have climbed down from your watchtower and decided to make your presence felt?" :) Please correct that, as it's probably way off the mark!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:55 AM
TE Expert

yup you're right . i meant that. lisan, we now have in our company who i believe is the biggest procrastinator of us all. hehe . i feel less guilty now

julia margaret cameron..
i'll check her out, although not too many people seem to be interested in such ancient photography. i posted a link to lewis hines's photographs who is believed to be the pioneer in photojournalism. he was there much before bresson and capa and all. most of his work was associated with child labour
if you can browse through the the list of threads posted. you'll come across his name
Old 02-07-2005, 10:13 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Maya Goded et al.

hey by the way... have you gone through all the galleries in magnum?????

martine franck

lise sarfati

eve arnold you might find her interesting because she's an old timer. her work on china is quite famous, though i prefer some of her other works.

you'll find some interesting work on india by marilyn siverstone here

inge morath

susan meiselas

all the above are magnum photographers

now to the other agency which i really love but i dont think it'll find that much appreciation on this site. i was introduced to this site , by one of the members himself tiane doan na champassak i met him in a shopping area, actually i recognised hi camera, a leica m6. he was in india to do the newsweek cover story( april 2004 issue)
once i came to know that he had just returned from mexico , he was there on a national geographic (french) assignment. hearing that i MADE him hang around with me for more than 2 hours talking about photographers/photography. i kept throwing names like mccurry, david alan harvey (magnum member , if you haven't seen his work yet, check it out, one of my favourites), rai and so on. they all turned out to be his friends. but he was a little amused, because i was talking like a kid
, just blabbering on. i was telling him about harvey, how he did his first NG assignment at the age of 23, and how he screwed it up and his editor wrote a letter starting with "dear david, you're young and strong, but what i'm going to write to you is going to make you feel old and sick..."
anyway harvey then went and stayed with a black family and did a book on them, and after 6 years he got a call from the same editor. anyway it's all a long story and it will take me days to write it all down here. tiane is the one who actually told me about VU and also about sebastiao salgado ( when i was talking about francesco zizola- a former magnummember)

ok i've deviated enough from the main topic - WOMEN!!!
so here are some women VU members

sophie chivet

claudine doury

isabelle eshraghi

christina garcia rodero

isabel munoz

jane evelyn atwood

anita conti

brigette grignet

ok there are too many of them out there and i'm tired of writing down all the link shere :)
VU is a lot of art photography as well. so i don't know if you'll like it as much as magnum.
i like this agency a lot because the photographers have a fresh perspective and it's a good change when i get bored of magnum once in a while
Old 02-07-2005, 05:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Linkmaster Sohrab

wow, that's amazing. i can't wait to look at all these links! i've also just ordered a huge fat Magnum book from the library which will give me more time to appreciate the pictures in print form, which is so nice compared to on screen.

i'm going to mexico in four days (!) for the first time, for a month. i don't expect to pull off a maya goded while i'm there but i do hope to feel inspired. i probably won't be on TE a lot :( though.

take care
Old 02-07-2005, 06:30 PM
TE Expert

Default photographer puncher lisan

david alan harvey

i don't think anyone has been able to capture the south american flavour as well as he has, so i think you'll like going through his gallery before going to mexico.
i think going through his photographs will help you more than going through maya goded's ( no offence meant to any of the women on this forum :))
it's simply because goded is covering a social issue and has been doing extensive work on it. while harvey has just caught the essence of the places he's been to.
he's also the best flash photographer i've come across. uses warming gel along with his flash. i have no idea how it works, but apparently it works.
you'll notice a spirit of festivity in his photographs and they're all timeless despite being colour photographs (something very rare, for me)

all his galleries are worth going through actually.
this guy studied at the journalism school at the university of missouri ( an institution that has produced several world class photographers)

tiane also promised ot say hello to him for me hahahaha
anyway enjoy his photographs
and in case i forget and im pretty sure i'll forget
have fun
take care
Old 02-07-2005, 06:30 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: photographer puncher lisan

start with "classic harvey"
Old 02-08-2005, 01:21 AM
TE Junior Member

Default david alan harvey

these are pretty exciting shots. something like alex webb but without the shadows and people's heads coming into the bottom of the photo :)

what the heck IS warming gel? it sounds messy! i'm going to do an internet search on it... somehow I think it wouldn't work with my crappy little flash. i usually don't like the way my pictures look when i use the flash; i avoid it at all costs.

very inspiring stuff. some of his stuff looks very NG but i like his less conventional stuff alot more.

thanks, o walking encyclopaedia of photographers!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: david alan harvey

oh, it's A warming gel. I should have guessed.