Tennessee: Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-13-2008, 02:21 AM
TE Expert

Default Tennessee: Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography

A cell phone photographer in Tennessee was arrested for taking a photo of a deputy sheriff during a traffic stop. Before the arrest the man was asked several times to delete the image…

Read more...
Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Tennessee: Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography

Maybe there is some kind of law that forbids to make shots of policemen "in action" ?
I'm not 100 % sure, but I believe in our country (Belgium) there is such a law...
On the other hand, I do not really see why one would take a shot of a policeman during a traffic shot...
Old 07-13-2008, 08:51 PM
TE Expert

Hi Luc,
and thanks for your contribution to this thread.
I am, of course, replying to your post, but don't get me wrong - inspired by what I read in media and what you've just written, I'm now only thinking loud, not judging or critiquing your opinion:

According to the article there's no such a law in Tennessee that forbids anyone from taking photographs of policemen in action.

Without going deeper in speculating about reasons why would one take a shot of a policeman during a traffic stop, I doubt the guy's intention was of a criminal nature. If it was, he would've probably taken this shot using a decent camera with zoom lens while not exposing himself during shooting.

But what this article is really about, IMHO (and why I posted this thread and a couple of threads before - see my posting history on the Forum) is the amount of both verbal and (even worse) physical abuse/retaliation the 'suspect' gets from an authority.

One doesn't need to ask themselves questions and do calculations to see immediately that that's not right.
Or is it?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
TE Expert

well, need to check the Tennessee laws (possibly local town laws where it happened) on this. i see that there could be many reasons why one would take a shot of policeman in action. one potential reason: catching the face of a policeman harrassing someone/abusing his/her power. i have read of several occasions when such random by-passer shots have saved someone and helped to convict the abusing officer later. in that situation, i would not be surprised about the agressive "model's" reaction. not sure on whose side the law would be though.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:22 PM
TE Newbie

I believe that each person has a right to his own image and can object to it being captured.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:19 PM
TE Newbie

While the battery and assault case by the authority that's been raised is repulsive, failure to obey the police officer's request could be considered a misdemeanor or even a felony, in many countries I guess. So be careful people, avoid facing unnecessary charges or "situations"..